Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Battery/Not Starting Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery/Not Starting Question

Hey everybody. I'm new here. My wife and I purchased an 01 V40 earlier this year and have an issue that I was hoping someone could help with. (I posted here because I figured S40 forum gets much more traffic).
A few weeks ago the wife left the headlights on and it started draining the battery. Well, after having it recharged and continuing to struggle with it in the hot heat down here in SC, we decided to just replace it. We replaced it and the electrical systems seem to be working fine now, however when we go to start the car, it will not crank. Everything sounds just exactly like it is supposed to in terms of turning over, etc.....it just won't crank.
I have heard the immobilizer could be the issue, or maybe we need a new key, etc. I see the immobilizer light on along with all the other lights when we turn the ignition on and try to crank it. It isn't on any other times than that, if that helps. I'm just not sure what to do without spending a ton of money. Things are a little tight right now and with just having purchased the new battery, we're hoping to save as much as possible.
Anyhow, I really appreciate any input you can give.
Thanks!
Chris

Old 09-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention I've had a couple repair shops tell me that we could have damaged something in the process of jump-starting it. We had to jump it a handfull of times, with the last time not working (before we replaced the battery)