Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Cheap Simple Cosmetic Things I've Done

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Simple Cosmetic Things I've Done

For right now, the car is all stock under the hood but I've made a few cosmetic improvements (in my opinion they're improvements). I just wanted to show what I've done and see what y'all thing. I may be able to answer a few simple questions too (like good adhesive for reapplying the V O L V O letters and how to get the air vents out without damaging the dash)

This is an older picture of the 17" Sagittas that I had. Sadly I have 16" Caligos again (long story...) but as soon as I need new tires, I'm upgrading to 17" rims again (maybe not Sagittas, but I love how they look).
I also have the windows tinted, I hate driving around in a fish bowl.

Factory Xenon headlights

So here is where there are some changes. As you can see, I have the V O L V O spaced out like on the 2010 models. I simply took off the old letters with dental floss and stuck them back on with 3M VHB tape. I believe there's 3" from the center of each letter to the next.
You'll also notice that the letters are all blacked out, I thought it looked good against the gray color of my car.
That is an OEM spoiler, but it didn't come on the car.
I also have Pilot exhaust tips, simply put over what was already there. I like that they're a bit bigger and shinier. The sound will come from the Cool Air Intake when I get one.

I have the brushed aluminium trim, but I got some vinyl so I could do smaller thing. You can see that I did the plastic piece around the door handle and lock.

Lots of changes on the inside. I have brushed aluminium around the lights ***, on the steering wheel buttons, on the shift ***, around the steering wheel below the gauges, and between the screen and the CD slot. It may seem like a lot but I like it.
I also painted my air vents (the right way). Yes, there is a Transformers logo on the center vent.
This is a 2004.5, so I added the silver around the radio **** like the newer models have.
There are brushed aluminium pedals (not the Volvo ones.... but not the stupid ones you get at Walmart either). These actually fit quite well.

Picture of the dash from the other side.

The ipod dock is made from a Belkin FM transmitter and a salt container. I covered it with material and it doesn't look half bad (it fits nicely in the cup holder and it's also a nice way to hide spare change)
Just for laughs, I have a NOS energy drink cap over the 12 volt socket. the caps actually fit perfectly over the socket plugs already.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Default nice touch ups!!!!

Hi, i just got my 05 S40 non-turbo. I love it! It is a lil-warn so i have some wrk to do. I really like what you have done, are they yours or did you order parts?
......Will

Old 02-05-2011, 07:28 AM

There's some more pics and more details here:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ings-I-ve-Done

I ordered most of the stuff and just personalized it myself

Old 02-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Only thing i don't like is that little NOS thing for the Cig lighter. But i do love the painted back emblem.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Very nice upgrades. Just got the S40 a couple days ago. Did you order a kit for the aluminum trim? How hard was it to install? If it is a kit, where did you get it? Thanks for the show!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM

I've tried two different dash kits (one on my old car and one on this).
I was somewhat pleased with the one I got from mojoparts.com But the "stickers" were about 1mm thick and that was a little annoying.
On this car, I have a dash kit from rvinyl.com It's okay, but I'm not 100% pleased with it, I had to do some cutting and customizing.
The vinyl on the shift *** and steering wheel I did myself. Hand cut, there's no kit for that. I would recommend looking around online and on e-bay for other kits, but check the ratings.

The aluminum plate on the center console and door handles are factory.

Both kits weren't that hard to install, you just have to be very careful because it's pretty much a 1 time shot.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM

I was looking and realized that these "kits" are just stickers. Is there any way to get the actual vinyl/plastic pieces to replace the dash stuff...rather than getting stickers? I just don't foresee the stickers looking nice.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:52 PM

yeah, the stickers for the major parts (like the center console and the handles) don't look that nice. I just used the stickers for the lesser pieces. As far as I know, you can buy the factory parts (that gets pricey and you have to know what you're doing when you take apart the console and stuff) but I don't think there are any products to cover the factory colors, besides stickers and paint...

Old 02-21-2011, 03:36 PM

I might just do that then, get stickers for the lesser peices like air vents and stuff. I did fine for $50 2 new door handles in either aluminum or carbon fiber. They just snap off apparently, easy to install. I think I also found the center console...