Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Check Engine Light - Code P2402/P043E

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light - Code P2402/P043E

2008 Volvo S40. Please keep in mind I am not car savvy and can't fix things on my own.

My wife was driving last week on 8/18/21 when the check engine light came on at 193,147 and has been on ever since. The next day on 8/19, I took it to Autozone and got a Fix Finder Report printout that says P2402 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High. But underneath this it also says Secondary DTCs and shows P043E - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Reference Orifice Low Flow. At the top of the page it says Most Likely Solution and states "Replace Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Leak Detection Pump Module."

So just trying to figure out what all this means...Do I have two codes or just one? I don't think my local Autozone's new OBD reader lets you clear codes anymore so I wasn't able to but I have made sure my gas cap is clicking multiple times and tightened since then if the code is due to that but I'm sure it's not. The last time the gas cap was replaced was in October 2013.

Also, we've been driving with this check engine light on since it came on 8/18/21. Is it ok to continue driving with this issue like we have been doing without doing harm to the vehicle? How quickly does it need to get addressed? I was planning on getting an oil change soon in a couple of weeks or so and could handle it then unless this type of issue needs to be addressed quicker. Lastly, I have two local shops that I go to. One uses Autologic/Autel while the other shop does use VIDA. Just so I don't waste my time, should I lean towards the one that has VIDA because this will deal with software or something tricky to just Volvos? Or not necessary and the shop that only uses Autologic/Autel is ok too?

I had software installed to delete the alarm siren module on 7/12/21 and also had the latest steering wheel module software installed on 3/10/21 to fix a steering angle sensor issue. Not sure if this helps or not but just trying to think of anything related to software that we've had done if this deals with that. We also did emissions testing for our registration renewal here in TN back in 05/21.

Thanks!

Last edited by jagsfan05; 08-24-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

The purpose of the evap system is to keep fuel vapors "in the tank". The system uses a pump to create a pressure differential as part of a leak detection process (ie that's how the car knowns when you forgot to put on your gas cap :-) ! . The P2402 code is saying the ECU didn't detect the pump as working, the P043E is saying the ECU didn't detect a pressure differential across the pump's orifice valve. So the diagnostics should start with determining why the pump is not working - could be a fuse, wiring, connector or a failed pump. If its a failed pump the orifice valve would be cleaned or replaced as part of the pump replacement. Other than failing an emissions test, there shouldn't be any driveability issues.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:12 AM

mt6127, thanks for your response! Any answers to my other questions would be appreciated.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:52 AM

Bump, thanks.

Also, I've noticed these forums don't seem to be that active at times...is there another Volvo forum site you guys recommend in addition to this one?

Old 08-31-2021, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

A few other forums worth checking out:

Matthews Volvo Forum
Swedespeed
Volvospeed
Reddit > Volvo

As to your question on two codes vs one - you have two codes but they are likely caused by the same fault. The two codes just are generated by different monitoring points and give the tech more input on what to test out. For this kind of issue, I'd probably go to a shop with VIDA. The Autel systme is good but VIDA has the advantage of interpeting proprietary Volvo data, gives repair process info to the tech specific to your model and can do programming (but I don't see a need for that here). Also not sure of the reference to the other software changes you had done but they are not related to the evap leak detection issue.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
A few other forums worth checking out:

Matthews Volvo Forum
Swedespeed
Volvospeed
Reddit > Volvo

As to your question on two codes vs one - you have two codes but they are likely caused by the same fault. The two codes just are generated by different monitoring points and give the tech more input on what to test out. For this kind of issue, I'd probably go to a shop with VIDA. The Autel systme is good but VIDA has the advantage of interpeting proprietary Volvo data, gives repair process info to the tech specific to your model and can do programming (but I don't see a need for that here). Also not sure of the reference to the other software changes you had done but they are not related to the evap leak detection issue.
Thank you mt6127! I appreciate your help.