Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Check Engine Light issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light issue

Hi -

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this issue:

I have a 2004 XC70 w/ 36k miles on it. The other day the Check Engine Light cam on and stayed on, opened the gas cap, retightened it, etc.. took it into dealership who hooked it up to diagnostic machine and it said something about gas cap leakage sensor or something, but they cleared the code and then today after about 5 days the light came back on. Called the dealership as we are planning a road trip this weekend and we have a 4 year old so don't want to fool around and get stuck somewhere. Was told that if the light came back on it they are pretty sure that it is a leak detection sensor that they have seen relatively often and it has something to do with the carbon filter or leak detection sensor within the gas tank or emissions system????? for the gas tank needs to be replaced and that it has to do with the emissions system and can safely wait until the next oil change without any worry about breaking down or any other safety related matter.

Does this sound correct? or should I push to have the work done prior to the trip?

Old 06-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Check Engine Light issue

If it is the Gas cap code that came back up yes it can wait till you get back without any worries.

It will not affect the running of the car.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Default Leak Detection; EVAP;Fuel Tank Cap - CHECK ENGINE

Over last 2 weeks my spouse has been to local mechanic several times. The CHECK ENGINE light has been on. Mechanic hooked it up, did diagnostic. All codes pointed to the EVAP system. Evidently, there is a closed loop system of sorts that captures fuel vapors and prevents any molecules from being released into the atmosphere. All good until there is a leak. Mechanic recommends replacing the "LEAK DETECTION PUMP" which he says is a fairly common problem on the 2004 XC70 wagon. $300 job all in. Googling around seems to confirm this is the going rate, and yes, somewhat common.

You guessed it. Still a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. Mechanic next recommends replacing the FUEL TANK CAP. Indeed, original one shows hairline cracks all around its 360degree perimeter. So $10 to Autozone. New cap on. Tight. Restart car. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT on. Turn car off. On again. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

Beginning to think a 3cent piece of electrical tape over the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT may be best solution. Thoughts?

BTW, we love our 2004 XC wagon. Terrific in New England winter!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Stucart
Over last 2 weeks my spouse has been to local mechanic several times. The CHECK ENGINE light has been on. Mechanic hooked it up, did diagnostic. All codes pointed to the EVAP system. Evidently, there is a closed loop system of sorts that captures fuel vapors and prevents any molecules from being released into the atmosphere. All good until there is a leak. Mechanic recommends replacing the "LEAK DETECTION PUMP" which he says is a fairly common problem on the 2004 XC70 wagon. $300 job all in. Googling around seems to confirm this is the going rate, and yes, somewhat common.

You guessed it. Still a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. Mechanic next recommends replacing the FUEL TANK CAP. Indeed, original one shows hairline cracks all around its 360degree perimeter. So $10 to Autozone. New cap on. Tight. Restart car. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT on. Turn car off. On again. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

Beginning to think a 3cent piece of electrical tape over the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT may be best solution. Thoughts?

BTW, we love our 2004 XC wagon. Terrific in New England winter!
I've been there.....EVAP leak....engine light....told either the hose from the tank or the EVAP solenoid by the tank....right? I never replaced either, light stayed on. Drove for about a year with it like that. I replaced the cap too.

I had a software update perform 3 months ago for other reasons. Light was cleared and has never come back on. Cost $49. Tell them you want the most up to date software for the engine. Should solve your problem.

Jim

Old 03-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Default Thanks - good idea.

Thank you, Jim. Appreciate your response. Yep, been driving around with the light on. Annoying, but the biggest worry is something other than EVAP could go wrong, and we would not know. I will indeed try new software next time we visit dealer. Best,
Stu

Old 03-02-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stucart
Thank you, Jim. Appreciate your response. Yep, been driving around with the light on. Annoying, but the biggest worry is something other than EVAP could go wrong, and we would not know. I will indeed try new software next time we visit dealer. Best,
Stu
Nothing else can or will go wrong. Its harmless. I think the original software was too sensitive to minute leaks. I am sure many had this light go on when the car was under warranty. Its one thing to tell you outside of warranty you need $400 worth or work another to have to do it a 1000 times under warranty. Reading between the lines i think Volvo put out a new software and decreased the sensitivy to EVAP leaks. No one is going to tell you that. Its my belief though. It was a total fluke that the upgrade elliminated the problem.

Once in there they may try to tell you that there are a bunch of other upgrades available....example transmission software. Don't take them. If its not broke don't play with it.

Jim