Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Check Engine Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Problem

I have a continuing CEL problem with my 2002 Volvo s40. I have had it tuned, the catalytic conveter replaced, the oxygen sensors replaced, and the timing belt replaced. Only the camshaft reset vale is not replaced. The CEL will not go off!

All of these replacements have resulted in the part needing to be replaced. We were nto replacing parts for the thrill of it. They have taken place over sveral months, and it is getting expensive. I want the CEL to go off. I will not pass inspection if it does not. I live in MA.

The S40 has about 130,000 miles on it.

I know that there is a sludge problme in the S40 camshaft reset valve. The new cmashaft reset valve is a slightly different design.

What is the problem?

Newport_j

Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the codes and post them. It will give us a general idea on what may be causing it to light up. It's hard enough to diagnose anything via the forums let alone with no info on what's thorwing the CEL. Also, have you cleared the CEL via a scan tool? Or are you just installing parts and waiting to see if it goes away?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM

I have cleared the CEL. It stayed off for a week. I did a lot of driving during that week. I am sure that I exceeded the drive cycle.

I will post the codes in a day. I did pull the codes last week, when I had the timing belt replaced. It pointed to the the camshaft reset valve. It is one the things that I have not replaced.

I replaced the camshaft timing sensor a few months ago among the things listed above.

Newport_j

Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 AM

Well it looks like you've already got a good idea on what you need to do to fix the CEL then.
I'd replace the Camshaft reset valve and see if that fixes it. I have no idea what the valve will cost or how labor intensive it is though. I know it sucks to keep throwing money at a problem just to have it not work. I hope that will do the trick for you with out any other problems. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 AM

The code is

P0015

I have seen it before. The mechanic says that maybe my timing belt (which I replaced last Friday) is not propoerly installed.

I tend to think it is something else like a

camshat reset valve - sludge problem.

Please any help apppreaciated.

Newport_j

Old 01-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Did a quick search and came up with this....

P0015 is indeed an SAE defined OBD II diagnostic trouble code. In fact, P0015 cross references to the Volvo proprietary code ECM-61. Below is information pertaining to this DTC, specifically for your vehicle.

P0015/ECM-61: VARIABLE VALVE TIMING CONTROL VALVE

Fault Conditions

Each time that the engine is switched off, the camshaft pulley sets itself in the locked position. The ECM checks that the camshaft pulley leaves the locked position when the engine is started again. DTC ECM-61 is stored if the ECM detects that the camshaft pulley is in the locked position.

Possible Causes:

Low oil pressure in the engine
Blocked oil ducts for the VVT control valve
Defective VVT control valve

Old 01-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Default Word was done

I had the camshaft reset valve repalced and the check engine light went off, for now.

I am wonderng how long should I now drive it in order to complete a drive cycle. I want to get it inspected as soon as possible.

Newport_j

Old 01-19-2011, 07:55 AM

I spoke too soon. The check engine light came on again - again! I have done just about everything one can do to this system with the CEL. What else is there to do? I need to get the code (give me 24 hours), but I am sure it is P0015.

What esle is there to do?

Does Volvo know about this?

Newport_j

Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM

Does Volvo know about this? What a pain! I would like to know if Volvo is aware of this issue. Also, what do they plan to do a bout it?

I checked with Auto Zone it is the P0015 code --- again.

Newport_j

Old 01-20-2011, 11:07 PM

this is due to lack of oil change. also you need to check oil pressure because you may need to remove pan and clean.you may have replaced the cvvt valve but it may get clogged up again do to sludge.also if problem continues may have damaged hub

Last edited by need2fix; 01-20-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Exclamation

I keep seeing "cvvt hub" and "cam pulley" associated with a p0015. Can you give any more details? I'm guessing they are the same thing? Can you give some part numbers or something?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 AM

My 2002 Volvo s40 runs fine even with the check engine light on. Can I wait to fix this? It passed inspection last week before the CEL came back on.
I guess the question is can I wait to fix? I would rather wait, but of course if my driving the s40 with the CEL on hurts my car then I must fix immediately. I just do not think the P0015 code is critical.

There are no performance issues, the car runs fine.

Newport_j

Old 01-26-2011, 06:41 AM

I had a P0026 on a 2005 Volvo S40... which was OBDII "camshaft reset valve" But had it hooked up to a Volvo scan tool and it was actually the VVT solenoid. I replaced the solenoid myself and it fixed the problem. It also fixed a pretty significant lack of acceleration.

The VVT pulley would also throw the code, but when I called Volvo parts I asked which was more frequently purchased the pulley or the solenoid. For my year car they had not sold a single pulley, but a few solenoids, so I took a chance and bought the solenoid. I suggest you call volvo for the same information on your car.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 AM

How much does it cost to reepace the VVT pulley on a 2002 S40 Volvo?

Newport_j

Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 AM

What is the difference between VVT pulley and the VVT solenoid? I thought that the VVT was one complete uinit.

Newport_j

Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 AM

No there are two seperate units.

I don't know the exact details, but from a DIY perspective it is easy to replace the solenoid, and more difficult/risky to replace the pulley without the proper cam locking tool.

I didn't have to do the pulley, only the solenoid.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:31 PM

Okay, this is one for Ripley The check engine light went off last Friday - yesterday. I am not sure why. I have a clue: here in New England this week we have had unseasonably warm weather.

The temperature is around 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit. This is quite warm and in direct contrast to the etxremely cold winter that we have been having where the CEL light almost never went off.

I read somewhere on the internet that the P0015 CEL problem occurs only in cold weather; other than for moving to Florida, what can I do?

I do not want to replace the VVT if I can avoid it.

Newport_j

Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Default check engine light

the i found if you drive for about 1000 miles the check light resets on its own

Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Default how do you ask a new question on volvo forums?

how do you ask a new question on volvo forums?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:46 AM

Some of my colleagues at work suggested that I use synthetic oil the next time that I change oil. They claim this may help my continuing CEL problem (see above discussion). Is there any truth to this?

I would think that using a synthetic oil would be a good idea in general. Also should I go directly to a synthetic all at once, or use a blend at first? I have never used a synthetic in my 2002 Volvo s40 car.

Any hel appreciated.

Newport_j

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light Problem