Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

common s40 problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default common s40 problems?

hello. i have owned an 850, two s70's, and an s60, which makes me the "volvo guy" with my friends. Being said "volvo guy," I have convinced my friend to buy one. He is looking at a 2001 s40 turbo, auto tranny. I believe a 1.8 liter. There is no check engine light on. I am going to look at the car with him in a couple of days, just wondering what some common issues with these will be, and what I should give special attention to while looking over it for him before purchase. thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A well maintained S40 shouldnt have many issues.Couple of things to check.The car due for timing belt change at 8 year or 100K miles whichever comes first.Its the most important to check.
The fact that there is no check engine light means nothing.The seller could have just erased it a night before.What you should do is to get a scanner hooked up to the car and see if the monitors are set or not.If they are then you have a better chance but if they are not set thats a clear indication of that the codes were just erased.Walk away.
Good indication of how well the car was maintained to see and smell the fluids.
The A/C sometimes goes haywire when on full blast the fan goes up and down.If you have to see a mech with this problem they will screw you with this otherwise simple fix.
The socks are gone at about 50K miles so I guess this car is being an 01 most likely in needs of replacement of them.
If you have a chance to drive it look for jerky shifting from 2nd to 3rd and whenever the car slows down and downshifts.Could be the fluid level or it need to be replaced but there were also a recall on the TCM for a program update.If it wasnt done on this car then you'd have to see the dealer with some cash.Again not all S40 developed issues even without the update most runs fine.
Look for rust on the hood inside at the latch and just behind the front wheels on the fender just behind the plastic where a mudflap should be.
Rotors are undersized at the front and tends to warp.Look for sign of overheating and vibrations at braking.
Good luck.