Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damage

Dear all,

Last night some a**hole hit the back of my car with his hitch or something like that. Result, lower part of rear bumper severly damaged with parts lying all over the floor. Unfortunately offender did not leave a note or a phonenumber. So i will end up paying.

Does somebody have any idea how much it approx. costs to replace the lower rear bumper with a new panel which is painted in cars colour. Any company that will ship worldwide or within the UK (Black Beauty?) is welcome. If i let the dealer take care of it how much will it approx cost?

Thank you in advance,

FT

Old 12-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Default RE: Damage

When I parked my car, someone bashed my rear door in, i called my insurance company and told them that, they gave me 100% coverage, with no deductible to pay, it was $4000 in damages to just the rear door, You could try that.....

Old 12-04-2005, 04:57 PM

That stinks Flying torquewrench, sorry to hear that. May they find their reward in Hades.

Sounds like you don't have Comprehensive car insurance or if you do, you don't want to make a claim.

First thing I'd do is get the original plastic bumper off & check the steel impact beam & its mountings underneath, just in case.

Rear bumpers are usually easier to find at breaker's yards than front ones - most front ones get trashed in the accident that writes-off the car. Try calling some local yards to see whether they have anything in stock or whether they can source one for you.

Your local branch of the Volvo Owner's Club may also be able to help.

If not, then maybe you could try contacting:

http://www.247spares.co.uk/carpartse...sed&make=VOLVO

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/THE-VOLVO-OBSOLETE-PARTS-STORE

http://www.sel-imperial.co.uk/partenquiry.html

http://www.partsgateway.co.uk/my/mgp...&search1.y=11#

Hope this helps, do let us know how you get on.

BB

Old 12-05-2005, 09:13 AM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being quite familiar with the insurance industry, I am baffled with the fact that you indicate your deductible was waived. Pray tell.... what carrier indemnifies your auto. Quoting from one of my favorite movie: "I gots to know".
Reg

ORIGINAL: gordon368

When I parked my car, someone bashed my rear door in, i called my insurance company and told them that, they gave me 100% coverage, with no deductible to pay, it was $4000 in damages to just the rear door, You could try that.....

Old 12-05-2005, 07:15 PM

Thanx all for the reply's. Paid my beloved Volvo dealer a visit today and fortunately its only the bumper which is damaged. But unfortunately the quote from the Dealer is 500 pounds for a new bumper plus installation. Parts only is 392 pounds.

Black Beauty, maybe an odd question. I don't know if you know the program on Discovery called Wheeler Dealers. But they retreive their patent parts from a car part supermarket. Unfortunately they don't mention any names but they normally get thier parts (bonnets, doors ect.) for prices below a 100 pounds. Do you know a company which supplies such parts? I have found somebody who is willing to do the painting only need the part. But i will also look at your links. Thanx for those.

Regards, FT

Old 12-08-2005, 06:59 PM

I'm surprised but very pleased to hear that there's no damage to the steel impact beam, as the plastic bumper sits quite close to it. Maybe the lowlife that hit your car ended up with some damage as well!

Did you manage to source another bumper using the links?

If no luck, then maybe try:

http://www.breakeryard.com/Default.aspx

or

http://www.breakerlink.com/index.php

Fingers crossed, you may even be lucky enough to find one the same colour.

Let us know how you get on.

BB
[sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 12-12-2005, 05:27 PM

BB,

Found a few bumpers but unfortunately they are not in the colour i need. However i know a few people who can do the paint job if required. At this moment i ma looking for a place to replace the front lower suspension arm rubbers. It failed it's MOT on this item and it needs an new MOT before the 17th of january. So at this moment that's what i am looking. Haven't decided if i am going to do it myself or that i bring the car to a dealer or other garage.

Regards, FT

Old 12-12-2005, 06:38 PM

Cheers for the update - how much was the the bumper in the end & did you find it via one of the links?

I've heard that those lower suspension arm rubbers can be a real nightmare to replace - best of British (or Dutch) luck FT! Worth shopping around for some quotes I think.

BB

Old 12-13-2005, 08:50 PM

thought you might want to check these volvo parts at partstrain, they offer reasonable prices on almost all parts and shipment is also fast. you can also search ebay or junkyards.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:24 PM

BB,

For 50 pounds more i buy a new bumper via the dealer in the Netherlands. So in the end it is not to bad. Just ordere the new bumper which cost me approx. 180 pounds. This is much cheaper than a new one in the UK.

Regarding the suspension arm rubbers i still haven't decided what to do. Found a plce in the Netherlands that sells patent parts and they charge 70 pounds for a new suspension arm including the rubbers. So it's maybe worthwhile replacing the whole arm instead of trying to find a place were they are able to press out the old rubbers and then install the new ones.

For information: A new suspension arm from the Volvo Dealer is approx. 120 pounds.

But at this moment the biggest problem is realigning the wheels after replacement. I need a garage that can do it properly. It seems that the S40 has a tendency to pull to the right. To counteract this the left wheel is adjusted a bit. But i am not sure if every tyre fitter or non dealer garage is aware of this.

Still awaiting a qoute from my normal volvo dealer but obviously it takes them approx. two weeks to work out what the price is going to be.

Regards, FT

Sandders08, Thanx for the link but most US shops don't post overseas unless you have a US billing adress. Also my car is from 1996 and the model was introduced in the states in 2000.

But anyway thanx for your reply.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the update FT.

I'd go for the whole arm - sounds a lot less bother!

Not sure where in UK you are, but the local branch of the Volvo Owners' Club may be able to advise you on the best place to get the alignment sorted out. Otherwise, if they are local to you, you might try either:

http://www.pwcars.co.uk/aboutus.asp or

http://www.formulacars.co.uk/home.htm

Regards.

BB