Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Dreaded Steering Column Lock failure

Old 07-02-2018, 10:27 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Dreaded Steering Column Lock failure

So my "new" 2005 V50 left us stranded on a run for an ice cream cone last night. The display indicated "Steering wheel locked - try again" and "Please Turn Wheel", while the wheel wasn't locked at all. Luckily, only about one and a half miles from the house, so we just walked home, after trying to jiggle, bump or pound the lock mechanism back into operating order (didn't help).

This morning, I just dropped the SCL device down (easy enough - took less than 10 minutes to liberate it), and used a flat blade screwdriver to free up the rectangular pin that is supposed to deploy when the key is removed (this fits into a groove in the steering column, effectively locking it). That freed it up, and it went up and down as it should (by putting the key all the way in, and taking it out), so I drove it home to continue the process. I hit the pin with some cleaner (used MAP sensor cleaner, figuring it wouldn't leave any residue), then followed up with a couple spritzes of silicon lube (the nice, foamy kind that will creep down into the mechanism). I cycled the thing about 25 times, and it seems to be 100%.

Here's the deal though - I can't be entirely certain that the real problem isn't something else inside the module, and don't really want to have to go through this again (or strand my wife somewhere in a 120° Arizona parking lot). So I ordered a steering column on Ebay, and it comes with the SCL module (anyone need a good used steering column?). ;-) I've read over and over that this module can't be replaced without programming, but that's hard to imagine - there are four (I think) pins on the thing so it's hard to imagine too much high-tech communicating between the ECU and SCL going on. I've also got a Vida / Dice device on the way, and wonder if anyone out there has tried "programming" a new SCL on their S40 (or V50).

Any input would be much appreciated. I cringed reading all the horror stories of people forking over $500-1000 (or more) to Volvo to fix the same SCL problem that I think I fixed in 20 minutes for free.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The key data is programmed into it, so your used one will not work. I'm not even sure it can be reprogrammed, I've never tried a used one.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:15 PM

I thinking it's likely that the SCL had been causing the previous owner issues, since it occurred to me that it's held in with two regular old 10mm bolts, and not the odd (and hard to remove) anti-tamper devices. That makes me think it's a good idea to replace the module since it might be prone to intermittent misbehavior.

I've emailed a few companies that do Volvo module programming to see if any of them can do anything with a SCL module. If so, I'll send in my new (used) SCL that's on the way now, and maybe my old one (if it's necessary for the reprogramming). Or, I could break down and visit the dealership with my dash taken apart and the SCL hanging down, so they could do as little as necessary to reprogram the new SCL. But oh, how I'd hate to do that... ;-)

Old 07-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

While this is an inconvenient repair, it is not as bad as a lot of things on vehicles. The best way to solve these issues is with dealer service. I know that it is expensive, but I haven't found a good way to overcome some of these problems.

Now, a failed ignition tumbler is another issue. That can be fixed if you don't mind grinding off the rivets to remove the assembly.

The whole idea is to make the vehicle theft resistant and that's the reason that a lot of backyard solutions don't work. I, personally, feel like the anti theft systems should be disabled after the vehicle reaches a certain age.

Unfortunately the solution might cost in excess of the value of the vehicle. I don't condone such technology that disables a vehicle if you have key in hand. However, I'm not in charge of the programming either.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem, and got it working after for one day by lubing the old steering lock. The next morning the car had "steering failure, needs repair"-fault on it.

I went through the web for finding out if a used newer lock could be installed, but everything I found was that it needs to be a new one to be programmed.
I also called through a couple of Volvo mechanics, but they all thought the same, that it must be a new one to install.

So I bought and installed a new one on its place, took the car to a Volvo shop with a trailer and got it programmed. Now it works, but sadly the whole fix cost over 300 euros.
My Volvo was a 2005 S40 2.0D.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:59 AM

FWIW, after removing, cleaning and lubing my original SCL, it's been flawless (for nearly a year now). I do still have a used steering column and SCL in my garage "just in case" but I'm a big fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", so I'll probably just leave the old one in place until it acts up again (if ever).

Old 09-09-2021, 11:30 AM

An update. Though I sold the car years ago, I sold it to a buddy who is "mechanically challenged", and is within easy driving distance (bad planning on my part, I know...). ;-)

Yep, the SCL acted up again, just as it did a little more than three years ago. Apparently it did it once, but he was able to cycle the SCL by pulling the key out and reinserting it. The next morning, it wouldn't clear (prompting a 4:50am call to me for advice). ;-)

Once again, I just dropped the SCL out and shot some lube in the mechanism (used white lithium grease spray, hoping it will be persistent). Actually, once I dropped the SCL module from the mount, it started working.

Who knows how long it'll last this time, but at least it's not a difficult "fix" (mainly because the PO apparently had an issue, and whoever fixed it put 10mm hex bolts in place of the non-tamper fasteners that normally hold the SCL in place).

I just hope if it does fail again, it's after my buddy sells it (and doesn't mention me to the buyer), or in the middle of the afternoon.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:55 PM
Default Replaced SCL Today

have owned my 2008 S80 3.2 since Aug2018 and love her. if i didn't, i wouldn't have paid for new scl + r&r & reprogram new one to the car. i have searched a whole lot and found no other dependable solution. i want to wholeheartedly endorse Tom Kelley Volvo Ft Wayne Service Manager Tim Bohn and TKVS Asst Mgr Ralph Gosch, as well as G & R Towing, La Porte, IN, Bailey and Andrew. South Bend is no Dogpatch, but it is 80 miles from each of 3 dealers. I checked BBB for all, remembered bad service from one, and picked the best BBB rating with Kelley Volvo. All the people mentioned went above and beyond the call to coordinate this. She starts perfectly again!

2008 S80 3.2 122k mi good car, bad SCL

Old 09-30-2022, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Alternative solution - MUCH CHEAPER

Hey everyone - I know this is a few years old but I imagine folks are still having the same issue. My 2008 C70 just had the Steering Lock mechanism start binding up. After taking it out, lubing it and un-jamming it, it worked for a week and a half, then bound up again. I was able to fix it a second time, but realized it was unreliable and I could get stuck anywhere so here is what I did.

I priced out buying an new (aftermarket) mechanism and getting it programmed by the dealer at around $325. But then I came across a company (out of UAE) that sells an emulator! This turned out to be a small 3"x3"x1" plastic encased device that learns the key config code and then acts to simulate the wheel lock.
As someone on this post said, cars get to a point in age, where the anti-theft deterrents are not worth spending money on to fix, so my car now no-longer has a steering wheel lock, but I'm okay with that!

The device is (was at time of this posting) $30, but then they charge $24 (which is a big rip off) to ship it from the middle east to the US. It arrived in 2 weeks. It installed super easy, and works like a champ (so far - been in for only 3 days) ... But for $54 total, I am extremely happy!

The company name is Emirates. Website can be found with that as a search term along with MK3
(and I promise I do not work for these guys or get any kickbacks - but this saved me $250 so wanted to share)

Old 09-30-2022, 05:13 PM

TimboC70 - thanks for that info. I'm this thread's OP. I've long since sold the V50 that started this thread (to a buddy who recently totaled it... sigh) but your solution sounds like a very sensible, pragmatic one. I agree - not having a SCL on a car coming on 20 years old is hardly a problem.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by TimboC70
Hey everyone - I know this is a few years old but I imagine folks are still having the same issue. My 2008 C70 just had the Steering Lock mechanism start binding up. After taking it out, lubing it and un-jamming it, it worked for a week and a half, then bound up again. I was able to fix it a second time, but realized it was unreliable and I could get stuck anywhere so here is what I did.

I priced out buying an new (aftermarket) mechanism and getting it programmed by the dealer at around $325. But then I came across a company (out of UAE) that sells an emulator! This turned out to be a small 3"x3"x1" plastic encased device that learns the key config code and then acts to simulate the wheel lock.
As someone on this post said, cars get to a point in age, where the anti-theft deterrents are not worth spending money on to fix, so my car now no-longer has a steering wheel lock, but I'm okay with that!

The device is (was at time of this posting) $30, but then they charge $24 (which is a big rip off) to ship it from the middle east to the US. It arrived in 2 weeks. It installed super easy, and works like a champ (so far - been in for only 3 days) ... But for $54 total, I am extremely happy!

The company name is Emirates. Website can be found with that as a search term along with MK3
(and I promise I do not work for these guys or get any kickbacks - but this saved me $250 so wanted to share)
Hello TimboC70,
Just wanted to say a big thankyou for the info on MK3 STL emulator. Just saved me many 100s of Australian dollars!
My Volvo V50 has had the STL problem about 4 times over the last few weeks. For me it was always when the car got really hot.
I took it to a Volvo dealer they checked it out and said it was faulty electronics (not mechanics) in the STL module.
They wanted $1300 AUD to replace and fit!!. I asked Volvo to put it back together and I would look at "alternatives" (I had already read your post, so knew exactly the alternative I was going for). Cost and shipping for the MK3 was $120AUD.
I just finished installing it and seems to work great.
Another advantage is that you can leave the existing module in place (It never locks because the power gets removed and plugged into the emulator module) this also means you dont need to get creative getting the 10mm security bolts out!!
**One important point though, to setup the module it has to learn the keycode from the current module.....so if your module is completely dead this solution wont work. If you have a mechanical or intermittent problem with old module you are probably OK...it only needs to work once for the emulator module to learn the code.**

Old 02-21-2023, 04:56 AM

The whole idea is to make the vehicle theft resistant and that's the reason that a lot of backyard solutions don't work. I, personally, feel like the anti theft systems should be disabled after the vehicle reaches a certain age.

Last edited by markismail; 02-25-2023 at 10:54 AM.