Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

fao tech. S40 decoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fao tech. S40 decoke

ok, so went to volvo today, gave them a list of symptoms (hesitation, lag, jolting @2500 revs, engine missfiring, engine shutting down etc) and gave them a list of things to look at (coils, throttle body, fuel injector, valves, cylinders) and they say engine has a major build up of carbon, and its gonna need the engine stripping down and decoking (wot is that anyway?) so i goes oh, ok sure how much? £1200 they said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wot? well 600 pounds for labour, rest parts. i mean you could probably buy a new engine for that.

any way they gave me a list of parts (everything from gasket to screws and washers.) they said once they strip it down theyll need new parts.. wots wrong with the current ones eh? i thought theyd just clean everything and put it back together? i am well pissed off, i mean the cars only 5 yrs old, not even done 60k miles. Tech, why is this a common problem with volvos? never here anyother car with these problems. has there been any recalls for this fault? and why does it switch off? i timed it today, and pretty much 30 mins and itll switch off. are there sensors telling the engine to switch off? if theres a carbon build up then why does the engine switch off and jolt before doing so at these particular revs?

Tech id really appreciate you answering all of the above (or as many as you can) and sorry for going on about it, but with out ma car i cant get to work so its important. wanted to speak with the mechanic but he wasnt there and the salesman wasnt able to answer anything, how lame is that? i swear, i ll never buy a volvo again. 2 volvos with the same problems??? ( i dont think they even looked at my engine, probably just went "oh that problem again)

Old 04-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: fao tech. S40 decoke

If it is heavy Carbon Then a good Fuel injection cleaning should take care of that.Im not sure why they want to rip the engine apart unless the oil is really sludgey.
If that is the case then I have seen people ad a desludging additive and clean most of the engine out.
Before you autherise anything you make sure you talk to the tech and make him explain everthing to you all the way to it stalling.Make him show you everything!!!
Then tell them you will get back to them and make them wauit for you.
Im not trying to be a jerk towards you but it also pisses me off when I hear stuff like this happening.

Get all the details and let me know what they say.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:52 AM

i have the same problem with my s40 as i mentioned in my post regardsing my fuel pressure. the difference between you and i is i have already had the decoke only 6 months ago. fortunatly this was done under warenty. so they dont have that excuse to use anymore. so now they say it is the fuel pump. which has ben quoted at over £600. do these people. start at the highest cost ten work back untill they find out what the problem really is and you have no money left.

Tech is there anything else i can do to get this progressed or investigated better than them taking the car clearing the computer and then taking it for a run and coming up with the fuel pump is broken give me £650 please.

any advice would be great.

thanks

Lee

Old 04-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Administrator

You should try to get ahold of a fuel guage that screws onto your fuel rail so you can monitor the fuel pressure your self.Im am not sure where you are but here in the U.S. where I live in Florida you can buy a fuel guage from an auto parts store for like $30.00.Then hook it up and try to run it to the bottom of the windsheild at the back of the hood.Then drive it and when it acts up see if the guage starts jumping up and down.If it does then the pump is bad.If it doesn't then most likely that is not the poblem.

Also check your coils and make sure they are not cracked.Causing a missfire.

Old 04-16-2005, 01:20 PM

cunzie where are you based? i get the same feeling that volvo themselves arent 100% sure wot the problem is, probably coz it aint there engine but thats no excuse. they should be able to determine wot the exact problem is by the way we described the problems (as this is such a common problem , they can deny it all they want but they know theres major problems with these engines) or by running there diagnostics, and doing a full engine check etc. they cant say oh it could be this, or it might be that . thats not acceptable especially as there charging such a high price. i feel that we should atleast get a discount as its a known issue. anyway im gutted. i feel i need to apologise to tech for us moaning and groaning like its his fault!!!

Old 04-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Administrator

NO hard feelings I don't take it that way!!!