Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

fuel filter location

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel filter location

Can anyone tell me where the fuel filter is located on a 2000 Volvo S40? I am planning on changing it this weekend don't feel like searching to find it. Thanks

Old 04-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Default RE: fuel filter location

Hi
I am presuming it is a petrol engine?
The fuel filter is located underneath the car,just slightly forward and to the left of the fuel tank.if you jack up the car,you will have easier access.
What you have to do first,is open the bonnet and release the pressure from the service valve,it's on the right end of the fuel rail assembly on the manifold,it shoulld have a dust cap on.remove cap and push a sharp object in to release the pressure and be prepared for a release of fuel(under pressure)so have some rag handy,

under the car,You will have to remove the plastic cover panel to gain access to the filter,it would pay you to clamp the hoses,to the filter,thus reducing fuel loss from the tank,place a container under the filter and disconnect the couplings,under the mounting strap and replace with new filter,ensuring the arrow points the direction of the fuel flow,reverse the operation and run the engine

I think thats about it,thought i would give you the procedure,just in case

Old 07-12-2011, 05:38 AM
Default volvo fuel filter problems

well ,thanks for the info i really aprecited

Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 AM

Releasing preasure from the service valve is not mandatory. Changing the fuel filter is able to be done without doing so.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 PM
mip

i have two s-40 2001, both has Eng light on cod catalytic bellow efience bank one, I change the oxygen sensor on one but , on both cars when i fill up gas to full until 1/2 tank the light of check Eng is off, could be relation?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Should not be related. Mine would stay off after a reset for a week or so but would always come back. This fixed it permanently:
Oxygen Sensor Spacer (CEL Boss)

Old 09-17-2014, 05:11 AM
Default fuel filter direction

Originally Posted by jonbath
Hi
I am presuming it is a petrol engine?
The fuel filter is located underneath the car,just slightly forward and to the left of the fuel tank.if you jack up the car,you will have easier access.
What you have to do first,is open the bonnet and release the pressure from the service valve,it's on the right end of the fuel rail assembly on the manifold,it shoulld have a dust cap on.remove cap and push a sharp object in to release the pressure and be prepared for a release of fuel(under pressure)so have some rag handy,

under the car,You will have to remove the plastic cover panel to gain access to the filter,it would pay you to clamp the hoses,to the filter,thus reducing fuel loss from the tank,place a container under the filter and disconnect the couplings,under the mounting strap and replace with new filter,ensuring the arrow points the direction of the fuel flow,reverse the operation and run the engine

I think thats about it,thought i would give you the procedure,just in case
So I went to change fuel filter on a friend's car 1998 S40 (B4240T) and I noticed the direction arrow on the filter was facing towards the rear of the car. This is was weird and went against all logic. However, after thoroughly checking the fuel lines it would seem like that is the correct direction of the flow.

The fuel pipe that connects closer to the rear of the car is the one that goes towards the engine. The fuel pipe that connects on the other end is the one that is coming from the fuel governor i.e supplying the fuel to the filter.

There is no info in VIDA on the correct direction so can anyone confirm the direction of flow on this car??