Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Grinding front right wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Grinding front right wheel

Good morning all

My first post in this forum and while I have researched my issue here I believe that I have more details to add that will hopefully pinpoint the exact nature of my problem.

The Car:
S40
216,000 km
Single owner

The Problem:Grinding front right wheel

Occurrence:
  • First drive of the day
  • Symptoms more acute when cold
  • Noise is heard when making right hand turns
  • When braking, in certain configurations, i.e., 80kph to 40kph noticeable vibration in the front right wheel area
  • Symptoms reduce/disappear when the car is "warm" or driving straight at all speeds

Recent Major Maintenance: Front shocks replaced.

Periodic Maintenance: Done as required

Mechanic: Volvo qualified, highly recommended Toronto mechanic by other Volvo owners

Mechanic's diagnosis as to possible cause: angle or bevel gear (I may have misquoted him). He is looking for a used part as the "entire unit is crazy expensive".

My Research Here: I liked the idea of a broken engine mount because of the cost and it was "less invasive" and it seemed to be the best fit.

Thank you in advance

Projectguy

The following users liked this post:
shellouise (01-03-2024)
Old 01-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum projectguy

Moved to the S40 section

Old 01-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Default S40 front wheel grinding when turning

Update:

Followed up with the mechanic. He's still looking for a used replacement angle or bevel gear. He also eliminated the possibility of the broken engine mount.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-21-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be an outer CV joint? Any of the boots cracked/leaked grease?

Old 01-21-2016, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by s40_Ontario
Could be an outer CV joint? Any of the boots cracked/leaked grease?
Thanks for the reply.

No leaks of any kind and my mechanic gave the car a very through inspection with the car on the hoist.

shellouise (01-03-2024)
Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Grinding is the sound I associate with a bad wheel bearing. If it's the bearing, the sound will get progressively louder over time.

There is also a carrier bearing on the pax side axle.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Hudini
Grinding is the sound I associate with a bad wheel bearing. If it's the bearing, the sound will get progressively louder over time.

There is also a carrier bearing on the pax side axle.
Thanks Hudini. My guy says not that he checked.

If it is possible I will make a recording of the noise and post it here.

One thing that I've noticed in researching this problem it the frequency of this specific problem and most often the sound and vibration originates from the right front wheel. It would be nice to get a definitive statement from Volvo along the lines that "this is a problem that has been identified and it is .......".

Old 01-22-2016, 11:08 AM

It could be so many things that I doubt anyone will give you an answer like that.

Does the sound vary with speed? Or does it vary with engine RPM? Or does it only vary with brake application or with a change in direction? Answering those questions will narrow it down.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hudini
It could be so many things that I doubt anyone will give you an answer like that.

Does the sound vary with speed? Or does it vary with engine RPM? Or does it only vary with brake application or with a change in direction? Answering those questions will narrow it down.
First 2 to 10 minutes of the first vehicle operation during the day. The volume of the noise and duration is a function of the temperature, the colder it is the more pronounced the noise and duration.

Right hand turns and acceleration during the initial "first drive".

shellouise (01-03-2024)
Old 01-23-2016, 10:06 AM

Ok, I'd suggest jacking the front off the ground and secure it on jackstands. Then grabbing the front tire at 3 & 9 o'clock and try to wiggle the tire. Then try it again at 6 & 12 o'clock. You are looking for excessive movement. You will get a bit at 3/9 if the tie rods are worn. You shouldn't have any movement at 6/12. If so check the lower ball joint.

Now put the car in neutral and try to spin the tires. Listen for that grinding noise. A mechanics stethoscope works here as you can move it around with one hand while turning the tire with the other. It also gets you an up close and personal look at the front end components including tire wear.

If it is a bearing starting to go south then it will heat up as it grinds. You may be able to place your hand on the wheel after driving a bit to see if there is a big temperature difference from front right to front left. One of those infrared thermometers works here.

Also check your power steering fluid level. The electric pump works when you turn the wheel. If it's low on fluid or making noise for another reason you might only hear it during turns.

shellouise (01-03-2024)
Old 01-27-2016, 11:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Projectguy
First 2 to 10 minutes of the first vehicle operation during the day. The volume of the noise and duration is a function of the temperature, the colder it is the more pronounced the noise and duration.

Right hand turns and acceleration during the initial "first drive".
The brake backing plate is contacting the brake rotor. The backing plate gets bent when front suspension work like strut replacement is performed.

shellouise (01-03-2024)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing noise from front wheel

I had an annoying rubber rubbing noise from the front wheel. Not much when

I swapped wheels left to right... rotors... calipers... hunted... snooped... hung out of windows... ran alongside the car...

I found it.

I'd replaced the axles at some point. I torqued the axle nut a little tighter. Noise gone.

So now I have to check the specs and the calibration on my torque wrench.

That was easy... eventually.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by migbro
The brake backing plate is contacting the brake rotor. The backing plate gets bent when front suspension work like strut replacement is performed.
I find it disturbing that the poster didn't post what the resolution of this issue was. Why can't people post the solution to the problems they find? ANOTHER serious issue with Volvos is the fact that if you let your brake pads go to less than 50%, give or take, the piston side of the caliper brake pad can slip thru the caliper and be ejected. THUS the front brakes are running on just one pad and the bare cylinder on the other. I've seen many Volvos, and other vehicles come into the shop in this condition over the years. And yes no one noticed the initial brake pedal movement or the noise created by this unsafe condition. Just another issue or design flaw if you don't keep up with fresh brake pads. AND no one checks the inner brake pad when the outside pad looks fine!!! And again anyone is free to see for themselves with worn pads how easy it is to slide out the inner pad when it's worn or corroded.

shellouise (01-03-2024)
Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 AM

The problem was indeed a broken engine mount.

shellouise (01-03-2024)
Old 03-24-2018, 12:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default thanks so much for the response, it means a lot to so many,....

Hey thanks,...
was it the front engine mount? (the one on the passenger side) Seems to be another weak spot with Volvos, all models. If it was the front mount did the rubber wear away and the noise come from the mount's cage hitting the frame? Or the engine crank pulley hitting something? Another mount that gets little attention is the lower torque mount. They seem to go at about 70K.

I wish someone would design an aftermarket front mount, they just seem unreliable????

Thanks again,....

shellouise (01-03-2024)
Old 03-24-2018, 04:09 PM

Chrisd111

It was "the front mount did the rubber wear away and the noise come from the mount's cage hitting the frame".

Since I've had to bury my beloved S40 after 13 years and 300,000 km which is still young for a Volvo; but, too many things were going wrong the key never worked properly especially in the dead of winter and the AC compressor died, etc. Would have liked to stay with Volvo but couldn't afford it.

Old 01-03-2024, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh the cost of living with volvo love

Originally Posted by Projectguy
Chrisd111

It was "the front mount did the rubber wear away and the noise come from the mount's cage hitting the frame".

Since I've had to bury my beloved S40 after 13 years and 300,000 km which is still young for a Volvo; but, too many things were going wrong the key never worked properly especially in the dead of winter and the AC compressor died, etc. Would have liked to stay with Volvo but couldn't afford it.
Our 2006 S40 has just over 113,500 miles and we’ve replaced all the parts suggested here.
this issue continues to plague us- mostly in the cold of winter, but definitely in the right front of the frame it sounds like.
ill take these suggestions into my mechanic.

so far we’ve poured more $$$ into the car than our original purchase price. with that said and not enough of a nest egg to invest in a new car we’re kinda stumped as to what to do about this.

thanks much everyone!

Last edited by shellouise; 01-03-2024 at 12:33 PM.