Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Had to pull Fuel tank- need to know what the box on top is

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had to pull Fuel tank- need to know what the box on top is

Hello,

My name is Jeremy and I'm a very new volvo owner. I purchased a 2002 s-40 with 68,000 miles on it from a private party two weeks ago. Cars runs/ran great and I love the way it handles.

Now for the problem. Following an unfortunate chain of events, an act of vandalism has forced me to disconnect and pull the fuel tank.

I have it off and I have flushed it to remove th debris, but there is a little rectangular box on top of the fuel tank and I have no idea what it is or what it does. That makes me very nervous.

The tank was flushed with gasoline in a spray bottle, then with water, followed by a mile acetone mix to remove the water. It's dry, but I want to know what the box is before I try to reconnect it.

I'm also replacing the fuel filter, just in case the debris *sugar* made its way past the tank into the filter. They have the filter at autozone for $20+ and online for 38.99. Is there any reason I need to purchase the more expensive filter?

I apologize if there is a post containing this information; I ran a quick search and came up empty, and I'm in the middle of it even as I type this post.

The vandalism occurred very unexpectedly and has rendered my car useless for the moment, and I'm anxious to get my investment back on the road again.

My thanks to anyone that responds.