Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Headaches part 2, can the engine be saved?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headaches part 2, can the engine be saved?

No more check engine light, once the car is started she runs good. Getting her started usually requires starting fluid. We drove her over 100 miles yesterday shutting her off twice each time was for about a half hour and difficult to restart. We left her running/idling most of the morning so that she would be running to get my wife to work. I had placed some compression restore in the motor and wanted to run it as much as possible before I changed the oil in the afternoon. Travelling to a friends to change the oil the oil light flickered on then came on. I pulled over immediately and shut her off. There is plenty of oil in the engine, overfull in fact. Restarting the car she would run for about a min before the light came on and I was able to limp/coast her to the house mostly with the engine off in neutral. Of course to improve matters I leaned lightly on the upper radiator hose and it broke showering us with antifreeze.

Summary:
After running for hours oil pressure light comes on. The car won't start when cold, using starting fluid I can get her started but she is missing for several seconds. If running and turned off you can restart her immediately with no problems. Compression seems low in the cylinder farthest from the timing belt and will come up with oil added. Something is running when I turn the key to run and won't shut off, I haven't been able to locate it yet.