Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Heater hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater hose replacement

I purchased the set of heater hoses and connectors (4) since I had the upper passenger side connector rupture. From the photos you can see I temporarily replaced one of the fixed clamps with a worm gear one. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to disconnect the connectors. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance.

Name:  1AD2F9D5-5141-43FA-BBCD-0552D114DF2D_zpsv7ekxkq9.jpg
Views: 9201
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  CCAFFB8B-53C1-4365-9A89-6A455D54879E_zpsgid0lbws.jpg
Views: 15185
Size:  30.5 KB

Last edited by SlikRick; 05-07-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe it's a twist lock. Rotate the light grey hex shaped plastic against it's black plastic holder then pull the hose connector free.

Google "2005 volvo s40 heater hose removal" and look at the pics.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:36 AM

I tried Googling before I even posted here. All I was able to see were mostly about other models of Volvos with completely different setups. These couplings look like quick disconnect ones, but they're apparently anything but with plastic all around including fittings (that's what gave me my problem. One of the fittings cracked, spilling coolant). What I wouldn't give for simple, metal fittings and worm gear clamps.

Obviously this isn't a common problem since there's a dearth of issues online about it, so maybe that's a good thing. But I'd certainly like to get at least some information on how these disconnect. I'm not seeing it.

Rotating the grey collar seems to do nothing at all. It won't pull off and it seems it'd ride just like that for another 100,000 miles. Lol.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:59 PM

They seem to weld themselves in place. I got one of mine free but broke the other. I agree with you about the need for simplicity. Although in this case it seems the function is mainly to ease the connection during assembly.

The only saving grace is that the cost of 2 new hoses is not terribly expensive. The bonus is you can then see exactly how the fitting works.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:11 AM

Ok, so you just, what, pull on it sharply once the collar is rotated? I tried it, and I swear it felt like I was going to break something.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Hudini is correct, the grey collar rotates and then the hose pulls off. It can take a lot of force, but if you have new hoses, then don't worry about breaking the old ones.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ES6T
Hudini is correct, the grey collar rotates and then the hose pulls off. It can take a lot of force, but if you have new hoses, then don't worry about breaking the old ones.

That reminds me of the pain in the a$$ job I recently undertook on my 2010 V70: replacing the power steering pressure hose. They called the fitting a "quickconnect"...man what an oxymoron! I ended up having to take a pipe cuter to the fitting as no amount of strong-arming was getting that thing off. $10 says it was a FOMOCO part, I guarantee it!

Old 05-11-2017, 06:38 AM

I wouldn't doubt thats the case with these also. My fear is not so much breaking the old couplings/hose, but the parts through and behind the firewall. Thanks to all for your advice. At least now I know what I'm up against. I'll give it a try in a few days and report back.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:21 AM

Well, I was able to replace the hose. Thanks to Hudini and all who replied. I certainly wouldn't have attempted this without the assurances I received here. To PierreMCalpine, you were absolutely correct FoMoCo part it is:

Name:  1DF6741A-A3FF-4AD4-9CD5-DA66F5A635ED_zpskzz03kam.jpg
Views: 9648
Size:  24.1 KB

Thanks again!!

Last edited by SlikRick; 05-14-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hah, figures.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:00 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine
hah, figures.
I'm curious - now that I am also removing the same hoses on my 2005 S40i, after you were able to slide the grey tabs to the left, how much force did it take to pull the hoses off of the heater core pipes? I have pulled fairly hard after moving the tabs to the left - which took a long pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers that allowed me to squeeze only the grey tab piece. But, so far I haven't seen any movement of the connector on the heater core pipes, and I have tugged pretty hard. Feels like it's welded on there.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:38 PM
Default progress!

Originally Posted by tom_shannon
I'm curious - now that I am also removing the same hoses on my 2005 S40i, after you were able to slide the grey tabs to the left, how much force did it take to pull the hoses off of the heater core pipes? I have pulled fairly hard after moving the tabs to the left - which took a long pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers that allowed me to squeeze only the grey tab piece. But, so far I haven't seen any movement of the connector on the heater core pipes, and I have tugged pretty hard. Feels like it's welded on there.
I was able to pull the top hose from the firewall pipe connection, and the hose on the right side of the bracket disconnected. Question - how do you pull the top hose free of that bracket that supports both the top and bottom hoses at their respective connection points?

Old 11-18-2018, 04:39 AM

Mine had a tab at the bottom that allowed the flat plastic piece to swing up from the top hinged part of the bracket.
As with all plastic that has seen many hours of engine heat you may break it. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hudini
Mine had a tab at the bottom that allowed the flat plastic piece to swing up from the top hinged part of the bracket.
As with all plastic that has seen many hours of engine heat you may break it. Good luck.

That was my experience also. So happy to finally get that off and replaced. Haven’t had any problems since. Car now has over 226,000 miles on it, and still running strong.

I recently took delivery in a brand new Tesla Model 3 Performance Plus, and been enjoying it. Part of the reason I haven’t been in much lately. But I’ve kept the Volvo and still drive it weekly. It has definitely served me well all these years, so I’m holding onto it until I can’t any more.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:44 AM

Thanks, Hudini - will give it a shot today! I'll post back after success/failure. I'll take pictures and share, too - that will help the next unfortunate soul.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by SlikRick

That was my experience also. So happy to finally get that off and replaced. Haven’t had any problems since. Car now has over 226,000 miles on it, and still running strong.

I recently took delivery in a brand new Tesla Model 3 Performance Plus, and been enjoying it. Part of the reason I haven’t been in much lately. But I’ve kept the Volvo and still drive it weekly. It has definitely served me well all these years, so I’m holding onto it until I can’t any more.

Gotta admit, though my 2005 S40i with 104k does lot to eat some parts, it still runs strong and like new. I have taken over the maintenance and repair wherever possible to reduce late life ownership costs.

Old 05-30-2021, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default These connectors are a joke

Originally Posted by SlikRick
Well, I was able to replace the hose. Thanks to Hudini and all who replied. I certainly wouldn't have attempted this without the assurances I received here. To PierreMCalpine, you were absolutely correct FoMoCo part it is:

Attachment 14800

Thanks again!!
I had all of the same issues. I got one and broke the other. I'm in the middle of a head gasket job. I'm trying to flush out my heater core and need to know the inlet Outlet directions so I can flush it against normal flow. Since I can't start the engine and just feel for which hose is warm I'm needing some help with this. Every time I search online it just shows other things not the simple Direction. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks guys

The following users liked this post:
Xack (06-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2021, 01:28 PM
Default Heatercore flush

I believe it's a twist lock. Rotate the light grey hex shaped plastic against it's black plastic holder then pull the hose connector free.

Google "2005 volvo s40 heater hose removal" and look at the pics.
Hey there guys. I had all of the same issues. I got one and broke the other. I'm in the middle of a head gasket job. I'm trying to flush out my heater core and need to know the inlet Outlet directions so I can flush it against normal flow. Since I can't start the engine and just feel for which hose is warm I'm needing some help with this. Every time I search online it just shows other things not the simple Direction. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

Old 05-30-2021, 01:37 PM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Ut4life58
know the inlet Outlet directions so I can flush it against normal flow.
The coolant flows from the heater core into the pipe closest to the water pump

Old 05-31-2021, 10:16 AM
Default Heatercore flush

Originally Posted by hoonk
The coolant flows from the heater core into the pipe closest to the water pump

thanks for the help. I followed the hose coming straight from the block and assumed that was the inlet. So I flushed it opposite to that. Didn't have much of anything in it and flowed great. Still waiting on my crank holding tool today so I can try and get this timing on and bolt the valve/cam cover back down. Timing is off so bad right now that the cams won't even sit down enough to bolt it up. Again thanks though and wish me luck on this next step today. 👍

Quick Reply: Heater hose replacement