Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

how to change fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to change fuel filter

Hi

Can anyone give any tips on changing the fuel filter on a 99 T4 - I found a page saying the filter canister is under the rear passenger seat?? Inside or underneath the car I am not sure.

Also, do I need to remove the fuel pump fuse to depressurize the fuel system before removal, or follow any steps to prevent an airlock in the system (e.g. having a full tank)? If so, where is the fuel pump fuse?

thanks
dave

Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Default fuel filter

On my 02 V70XC, the fuel filter is located under the car by the rear passenger door. it was as simple as unclip, remove and install new one. There is a strap hanger around the filter itself, and a pressure clip on the inlet and outlet side. Undo the lines first as it is easier with the strap attatched. If your concerned about the fuel pressure, disconnect the negative battery cable and under the hood on the fuel rail at the schrader valve release presure. I did not release the pressure, you may get a little spray but not much (just dont do that with a hot car). Not sure how similar the 40 is but I hope this helps.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Volvos rock
On my 02 V70XC, the fuel filter is located under the car by the rear passenger door. it was as simple as unclip, remove and install new one. There is a strap hanger around the filter itself, and a pressure clip on the inlet and outlet side. Undo the lines first as it is easier with the strap attatched. If your concerned about the fuel pressure, disconnect the negative battery cable and under the hood on the fuel rail at the schrader valve release presure. I did not release the pressure, you may get a little spray but not much (just dont do that with a hot car). Not sure how similar the 40 is but I hope this helps.
yep its under a flap buy the back left wheel

Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by davidra
Hi

Can anyone give any tips on changing the fuel filter on a 99 T4 - I found a page saying the filter canister is under the rear passenger seat?? Inside or underneath the car I am not sure.

Also, do I need to remove the fuel pump fuse to depressurize the fuel system before removal, or follow any steps to prevent an airlock in the system (e.g. having a full tank)? If so, where is the fuel pump fuse?

thanks
dave

pump fuse should be in the fuse box under the hood