Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

how to check brake pads (without removing wheel)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to check brake pads (without removing wheel)?

I have a 2008 with just over 22K miles. I noticed recently (within the last month) that when I am slowly turning and braking (for example pulling into a driveway or backing out of a parking space) I sometimes hear a squeaking/creaking sound. The sound is almost certainly coming from the front of the vehicle. I've never heard the sound when driving straight and braking.

I wanted to check the brake pads to be safe, but I'm not exactly handy with vehicles. Can this be done without jacking up the car and removing the tires?

Also just another tidbit; starting about a year ago my parking brake would squeak very easily. For example, I used to park in a spot that had very loose gravel. Just opening the doors alone would cause a squeaking noise from the parking brake. When parking on a paved hill, either opening the door or the force of sitting down in the driver's seat will also cause the squeaking noise. Not sure if this is related to the turning issue or not.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It can be done without removing the wheel but it's not as accurate. You also need to know what you are looking for. You shine a strong light to see the gap between the metal backing plate of the brake pad and the rotor. At about 1/8" gap I start making plans to buy new pads and find the time to replace them.

This assumes the outside and inside pads are wearing the same. That is why the most accurate way is to remove the wheel so you can look at both pads. You cannot see the inner pad very well with the wheel in place.