Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

How many parts do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many parts do I need?

I am looking to replace the rocker panel on my 2002 Volvo s40. The parts number I believe is 30618433 (for the right or passenger side of the car).

I am believe that something else is required. The rocker molding seal perhaps. It parts number is 30808522 (again for the right side).

Or maybe the rocker molding clip. It part number is 30808521 (also for the right side). My original molding was damaged when someone tried to raise the passenger side using a jack to replace a tire on the front.

I am just not sure if all of this is needed. It certainly requires the Rocker panel. That I am certain of.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Old 09-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're talking about the rocker panel molding, not the rocker panel.

I've taken that off. It's not obvious how to do it and I broke the clips while experimenting.

I don't think you need the seal but you will need half a dozen clips 3080852.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay thanks I will try. By the way, what is the seal for?

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Old 10-01-2015, 05:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by migbro
You're talking about the rocker panel molding, not the rocker panel.

I've taken that off. It's not obvious how to do it and I broke the clips while experimenting.

I don't think you need the seal but you will need half a dozen clips 3080852.
The panel itself slides first before coming off. If you do this instead of yanking like I did you may end up saving a few plastic connectors. While you have the panel off be sure to inspect the area at the very bottom of each front door. The design forces the accumulation of dirt and leaves over time and ends up causing rust to the front right and left side panels (at the bottom rear corner of each).

Old 10-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a water hose down in that area to flush it out from inside when the door was open, plenty of dirt/leaves accumulation. One side took a while before it drained. I then took the plastic wheelwell cover off (lower portion only) and the amount of sand that came out from that area was incredible, quite the pile on the driveway. I then washed the area out. There is a piece of foam that runs the height of the fender that should be pulled out for proper cleaning.
When completely dry, I sprayed undercoating before putting it back together. I can see how the lower fenders rust over time as the build up prevents drainage and remains wet. My 04 S40 car doesn't have any external rust in this area thankfully.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s40_Ontario
I put a water hose down in that area to flush it out from inside when the door was open, plenty of dirt/leaves accumulation. One side took a while before it drained. I then took the plastic wheelwell cover off (lower portion only) and the amount of sand that came out from that area was incredible, quite the pile on the driveway. I then washed the area out. There is a piece of foam that runs the height of the fender that should be pulled out for proper cleaning.
When completely dry, I sprayed undercoating before putting it back together. I can see how the lower fenders rust over time as the build up prevents drainage and remains wet. My 04 S40 car doesn't have any external rust in this area thankfully.
Yep, the accumulation of crud in there is quite impressive! You are correct to get at it properly it's best to remove the bottom end of the plastic wheel well cover. I only noticed it because I started to have rust appear on the outside that was actually being caused by all the moisture inside the panel!