Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

HU-615 Hidden Menus

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HU-615 Hidden Menus

I had posted this on another forum years ago and thought some of you might be interested.... Enjoy

I had heard that the S60 stereos had these menus and just started experimenting. Some are apparently related to Digital Audio Broadcase (DAB). BTY, if you reset the EEPROM, the built-in equilizer will be set to all 3's and your radio presets will be cleared. To set the eq back to the factory settings: Radio off, press and hold the power **** and a menue will appear where you can restore defaults.

Equalizer!
The HU-615 has a hidden menu. With the stereo off, hold the "select" **** in and turn the on wile still holding the "select" **** in for about 5 seconds. This gives the capability to adjust:

Front Low1
Front Low2
Front Mid
Front High
Rear Low
Rear Mid
Rear High

Press "select" to cycle through these options. Rotate the "select" **** to increase or decrease gain (0-6).

There are other hidden features as well that I am not exactly sure what they do. Again with the stereo off, hold a button while powering on for 5 sec. One of the coolest is displaying your speed in km/h on the radio display. The 615 can adjust the volume auromatically based on your speed (ASC). If you screw things up too bad, there is an EEPROM reset in one of the menus.

Digital Speedometer!
Ok, lets unlock the secret.
1) With the stereo off, press and hold the "I<<" button
2) press and release the power **** while still holding the "I<<" button until the display changes then release
3) Rotate the center **** (preset selector) until you see "CONSTANT DISP >>>>>"
4) Press the center **** to select
5) Display should show ASC/BAR/DAB/IP/OFF or something like that
6) Pressing the center **** cycles theough each one, you want "ASC"
7) Once ASC is selected, rotate the center **** until you see the option to exit.

Now your display should show:

M 96KM> -36 + 03 = -33

where 96KM is your speed, -36 is your volume setting in attenuated dB, +03 is the ASC adjustment applied based on your speed and -33 is the total volume attenuation.

Other display options:
BAR = displays bar graphs of the radio signal strength, left and right for FM Stereo and just a single display for AM.
DAB = I think is for Digital Audio Broadcast - not confirmed
IP = don't really know but it seems to have something to do with the radio.

This menu (I<<)is where you will also find the EEPROM Reset if you monkey things up too much.

Stan

Legal Stuff: I claim no responsibility or expertise in this area. Tinker at your own risk. But I'd be interested in knowing what you find.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Cool!......Lets see how many folks do this. I would be curious if anyone could post a picture of the digital speedo

Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AutoNaut
I had posted this on another forum years ago and thought some of you might be interested.... Enjoy

I had heard that the S60 stereos had these menus and just started experimenting. Some are apparently related to Digital Audio Broadcase (DAB). BTY, if you reset the EEPROM, the built-in equilizer will be set to all 3's and your radio presets will be cleared. To set the eq back to the factory settings: Radio off, press and hold the power **** and a menue will appear where you can restore defaults.

Equalizer!
The HU-615 has a hidden menu. With the stereo off, hold the "select" **** in and turn the on wile still holding the "select" **** in for about 5 seconds. This gives the capability to adjust:

Front Low1
Front Low2
Front Mid
Front High
Rear Low
Rear Mid
Rear High

Press "select" to cycle through these options. Rotate the "select" **** to increase or decrease gain (0-6).

There are other hidden features as well that I am not exactly sure what they do. Again with the stereo off, hold a button while powering on for 5 sec. One of the coolest is displaying your speed in km/h on the radio display. The 615 can adjust the volume auromatically based on your speed (ASC). If you screw things up too bad, there is an EEPROM reset in one of the menus.

Digital Speedometer!
2) press and release the power **** while still holding the "I<<" button until the display changes then release
7) Once ASC is selected, rotate the center **** until you see the option to exit.

M 96KM> -36 + 03 = -33

where 96KM is your speed, -36 is your volume setting in attenuated dB, +03 is the ASC adjustment applied based on your speed and -33 is the total volume attenuation.

Other display options:
BAR = displays bar graphs of the radio signal strength, left and right for FM Stereo and just a single display for AM.

This menu (I<<)is where you will also find the EEPROM Reset if you monkey things up too much.

Stan

Legal Stuff: I claim no responsibility or expertise in this area. Tinker at your own risk. But I'd be interested in knowing what you find.
Which 40's does this work on? I googled HU615 and it doesn't look like mine...

Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 PM

2005+ has this radio.

you have something like an sc-815 if i remember right.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SC-815 was earlier ('00 - early '01).
The HU-615 (cassette and CD) was the factory radio in my '02 S40. It was used from late '01 - '03 and had CD and cassette.
The HU-555 that did not have the cassette player but I believe it had external amp output.

There are others that were used as well as exchange units with similar model numbers.

I don't know if these others have the hidden menu but they likely do.

The 2004.5+ is a completely different beast.

Stan

Last edited by AutoNaut; 11-10-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:32 PM

Thanks for this information. I can actually get to the RESET RUN position but I am not sure how to RESET. I'd like to reset my radio back to factory. I had to disconnect the battery which CODED the radio. I entered a code from my other Volvo. 3 times. It locked me out. I found how to go into the secret settings and get it back to where it asks for the CODE. Called the Dealer and got the CODE and found out the code was written with a magic marker. It matches the Dealers code. Same code but the radio won't take it and gives me an ERROR every time. I think I might have goofed up the settings. For sure. The only thing I can do now is either buy another radio which I would hate to junk a good radio, or reset this one too factory settings. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by AutoNaut

Equalizer!

Front Low1
Front Low2
Front Mid
Front High
Rear Low
Rear Mid
Rear High

Digital Speedometer!

M 96KM> -36 + 03 = -33

Other display options:

Stan