Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Ignition lock problem with 07 S40 T5 AWD

Old 01-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition lock problem with 07 S40 T5 AWD

Good Evening,

I could really use the help of some of the S40 owners and other fantastic Volvo enthusiasts that contribute to this forum. I just got back from a long-road trip this afternoon and was unloading my car when I noticed that the radio was still playing inside my 2007 S40 when the key was in my pocket (out of the ignition). Unfortunately, the gravity of this didn't hit until I attempted to run an errand about town and couldn't lock my car doors from outside.

The key easily leaves the ignition switch, and the engine is shutting down (and turning on) just fine. But the ignition appears to be sticking in a position where the radio and car lights remain on with the key out of the ignition. A quick search on my smartphone revealed that a '97 XC70 owner used graphite spray to treat the pistons of his ignition lock for a similar problem. For me, I began to shake the key inside the 'I' position, until the radio turned off, and the car could be locked.

I called the dealership, and they said I would need to leave it for a few days, as they hadn't heard of a similar problem and would need time to investigate. I haven't dropped the car off because my interim situation appears to be 'working', and the car is two weeks off its original factory warranty.

I'm thinking that the graphite spray would only work for older models with metal keys, not the modern plastic ones. Any ideas on the problem, and a long-term solution?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 PM

Hi. This issue should be of the recall variety. I brought my 2008 XC90 to the dealer today for another issue. I sat in the waiting room for 30 min when the service man approached me and asked me if my ignition had ever locked up before. I said no and tried to turn the key myself. Completely locked. The service rep said "I know what it is" as his wife in her Volvo had recently had the same problem. He explained the ignition has a locking mechanism that sometimes freezes in place. The column needs to be dissembled to remove the mechanism. He told me 5-7 biz days to get the factory to custom build me a new one before he can drive the car to diagnose the problem I originally came in for. They won't give me a loaner or rent me a car despite the fact that this issue is "under warranty." I'm very disenchanted with Volvo as, given that this issue has occurred in Volvos time and time again, there has been no recall. I'm shocked that you had to pay for the fix.Please pursue recompense thru Volvo. I will-for my car rental!!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Default Thanks dianescioli

Hi,

It sounds like this is something that Volvo is just now becoming aware of, but either can't or won't aknowledge yet. However, within one week of the problem starting, I have had no more problems with the ignition switch. I'm warry of it starting up again, and hoping to collect more information (anecdotal and official) to help if there is ever a need for futur repairs.

Sorry to hear dianescioli that you are growing frustrated with Volvo service.