Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

interior smell??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior smell??

This is my 1st Volvo, bought new in 2005. 2.4L non Ti. 10k miles on it. I don't drive it much for several reasons. The sound system sucks as the center speaker grill in the gps screen vibrates from the sound. Worse in the cold as the speaker is cold I guess. I do not blast the stereo either. Anyway, I don't use the sunroof because of a smell it pulls from the trunk. It took a long time and the dealer was useless -- couldn't smell anything --- I believe it is the PAINT in the trunk! I have been considering urethane or varnish to get rid of the smell. I even placed an electronic air cleaner in the trunk for several months to no avail. Still smells. Does anyone else have these problems? I originally thought the smell was the rustproofing used, but when I took it to the dealers rp agent, I smelled their product and it is not their chemical smell. They could smell it too. They suggested the air cleaner. I used to go to my dealer for my state inspection. Because I do not drive it much, I installed leads/connector on my battery which allow me to hook up a trickle charger to the battery without removing the battery cover. The car will literally sit for months in the environmentally controlled garage without driving it. The dealer removed my leads from the battery and pitched them. I work with electronics/electrical components all day. I installed shrink tubing, waterproof connector. They had no right to remove it/steal it. I unplugged the charger to take the car for inspection, when I got home to hook it back up again, the leads were unbolted/removed from my battery.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about your troubles. The speaker noise is likely just dust that falls through the grill and sits on the cone. I have to pull my grill once in a while and clean too. I recommend a bone tool like the one sold at IPDUSA.com to remove the grill with out damage.

Really sucks about the smell. I turned down a V40 at CarMax that reeked of paint smell. It should go away after a while. Let it sit outside on the sun often, opened up if possible. Might also get the cabin air filter changed too. There are some with activated charcoal available that might help.

These cars, like most modern day cars, will drain a battery if not run for a few weeks. There is electronic boxes that stay energized when the car is off (ie. lock and alarm system). Might consider a "battery buddy" or some other trickle charger for when the car is not in use. There are some solar ones too.

The dealer may wanted to get your car to a factory configuration to eliminate any slight possibility that your wires were part of the problem. I assume that you have all the software updates. I believe there was one for the audio system draining the battery.
Stan

Old 10-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default batteries and smells

I have 3 cars and 1 truck and sometimes I do not drive one for a while becaause I also have a motorcycle. Anyway... batteries... most of todays cars will always have a battery drain due to radios and computers that stay active all the time, that is how your dash information and radio stations stay current.
I have other stuff..boats, riding movers that ALL have battery tenders on them. Never had a battery go bad.
Smells.... I use HOUSE Airwick freshers in my cars, also Bounce dryer frabic sofener sheets. Plus Febreze spray for my cars . I might try to remove the truck carpet and wash with Simple green and then let air dry. While the carpet is out I would also wash the inside of trunk.
I stopped using those little colored Christmas trees a long time ago.

Cb