Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Keyfob Duplication

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyfob Duplication

Basically the S40 I bought a few months ago only came wiht 1 "key" it is the all plastic thing with the pull out metal emergency key for the doors. I am trying to figur eout how to duplicate this key (cutting isn't the most crucial part) as my wife has the key and sometimes I need to have one of my own. I know I can grab a key off ebay for like $60-70, any better pricing or bad experience with the ebay keys? Any idea how to program the key/car to work together with the new fob? Anyone ever get the emergency key cut at the dealership, how much? Thanks for any help. I tried searching but the terms I use are either too precise or too common to get anything.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Well this doesn't seem promising.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:01 PM

From what i have gathered this is only possible from the Dealer, with original keys ie the ones you buy off ebay dont always work as they dont come with some codes, but this is all things i have been reading and researching i only got 1 key with my volvo and was wanting another but spending 200 pounds is a bit much, so will keep waiting and looking for an idea,

Old 05-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I just bought a 2005 with only 1 key. I will be asking my local dealer how much for a 2nd key. I'll let you know what the going rate is over here in the US.

Also, when I opened up my keyfob it had a code inside on the circuit board with a strange graphic that appeared to be some type of scan symbol. Does anyone know if this scan symbol is how the dealer programs the car to the key?

Old 05-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Default Duplicate key

Originally Posted by Hudini
I just bought a 2005 with only 1 key. I will be asking my local dealer how much for a 2nd key. I'll let you know what the going rate is over here in the US.

Also, when I opened up my keyfob it had a code inside on the circuit board with a strange graphic that appeared to be some type of scan symbol. Does anyone know if this scan symbol is how the dealer programs the car to the key?
Eagerly waiting to hear of your results.
I'm lucky that i got all the security details for my car direct from Volvo including the Ignition key code and Immobilizer pin.
I'm also wondering if these details could easily help in producing another key from other dealers other than VOLVO dealers
Thanks

Old 05-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to have a second key made for my 2004.5 back in December. It's a dealer item and I think I had to give them the VIN for them to order it which I assumed was to get the metal door key matched to the locks. The key has to be programmed by a dealer - I tried a local dealer that recently gave up their Volvo franchise who can still do most Volco mechanical work but they no longer can do any software-related work. I had to go to another dealer and the key and programming was US$238.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Default Keyfob duplication

If you need a key cut, you do have to order it through the dealer, and you do have to issue the VIN. A key cannot be custom cut for volvos 2000 and newer. I could be off on the years, but I know for sure 2000 and newer, might even go as far back as '97, but I am not positive.

They actually have to order it from the factory based on VIN, apparently, the factory keeps a record of the cut or something. Its really quite neat, and although a pain, a great security feature.

Then the dealer has to use their proprietary software (vida) to program the key to the car. It MIGHT unlock the doors if not programmed, but it definitely wont start the car. I went through this when I was trying to switch my key over in my 2003 S60. I wanted to upgrade to the "Switchblade" style where the fob and key are all one unit, but I can't because my key is separate from the FOB, and the newer keys for the "switchblade" fob are thinner than the older style, so the factory cannot cut that key, and also the transmitters work on a different frequency, so they can't be programmed.

The dealer said here, that they could do it, but it would require changing out the locks, the ignition, and also the transmitter modules. Total cost estimate: $6,000. Thats a hefty down payment on a newer S60 with push button start...especially if I trade mine in...So its just not feasible.