Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Million Dollar Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Million Dollar Vibration

I am having a mysterious problem with my S40. I have had it in numerous times and now the problem is getting expensive. I was hoping tech could help me out with this one but I want to hear from anyone else who has had this problem.

Description or Symtoms;
Car has developed a rather nasty shake. especially violent at 80km to 100km, vibration only seems to occur under acceleration, when I take my foot off the gas vibration goes away almost immediately.

I have had the tires and rims replaced and balanced 8 times now. So I am sure it is not tires.

Volvo is telling me there is something wrong with the drive shaft, problem is this part and installation are to expensive for me to guess.

I think it might be the lower motor mount, I just had the upper replaced but it really did not look all that bad. My question is would a shaking motor cause this type of rather wierd vibration. I thought last night when I was going down hill the shake was gone. Maybe because engine was loaded forward. Does anyone have a diagram of how the lower mount attaches to the engine?

Tech, help, I can afford to spend 1000's on this car anymore.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Million Dollar Vibration

Are you somewhat technical?

If so Jack up the front of the car Safely.

The get under the passenger side.R/S here in the U.S. (Sorry not sure where you are from)
The Feel the inner joint of the Axle. Hold the inner joint and turn the wheel slightly with the other hand and see if the Axle joint slops. The tri-pod joint wears out and the Axle slops in the joint.
Almost like the old U-Joints in the rear wheel drive cars.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:31 PM

I have had it on the hoist a few times, I am from Canada by the way, I am the old Zigzag, I forgot how to log on. Anyway. I am told that there is a gear assembly Something like a transfer case. They tell me the gears in there might be sloppy, everything else is tight. We even ran the car on the hoist to see if there was anything but it seems to me unless there is a load, ie going up hill and you are going 80 to 100 that is when the vibration is really bad, feels like car is going to shake apart. The Volvo dealer took it for the day and they are pretty sure it is the passenger drive axel. I would like to get your opion about this before I commit to an ungarunteed procedure. I did notice there was a small click noise yesterday when I shifted into reverse, could this be the transfer case gear assembly. The dealer tells me the new axel shaft will come with the new (gear?) end. They also tell me this is a common problem. I am very disappointed by this as the car has only 150000kms and now I have to replace both drive axles. What has become of the reliability of Volvo, I hope they have not comprimised the safty as well, the only two reasons I bought this car. Send me an email if you need to ask me anything. I have been driving around like this for the past 4 weeks.
majbarrie@aol.com
Thanks

Old 08-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator

I agree with the Axle I have seen many of them go bad and cause the Same Vibration you are talking about.

But tell them if it doesn't go away you want your Axle put back in.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:54 PM

I was going to ask for the axel back prior to committing to the operation. They basically are charging me for the part anyways, just want to make sure I get a new part and my old part. They dont want to garuntee this will solve the problem and have already recommend I spend another 1500 for the other side as both may be bad. They offer MVA for 400 less. I think new part is worth the money at this point.

Damn car only has 240ft/lbs how does this happen.........?

Thanks Tech.

you dont know where to find a detail drawing of the transfer assembly. I would like to see how it works.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Let me know how it goes.

Sorry no picutes.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:30 PM

I am getting more conflicting information, I am told by Volvo of London that it is the ignition system, I know one of the coils is bad. maybe both. do you think that would cause this problem. I still have trouble with the axel theroy....let me know what you think I have told them to order part. Anyway I can only afford to get one side fixed, i dont know what to do.

All I know is I dont want to spend 3000 dollars to find out it was coils. I think they told me coils were 120 each. maybe 140.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Try the Coils first.
Usually the check engine light will flash and throw Missfire codes.

Watch and see if the light flashes under really Hard Acceleration.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:15 PM

I know there is a misfire on cyl3. only happens once in awhile, service light always goes out after about 5 mins. It never comes back on.

I was also told that I might have fried the wires by using platinum plugs. I only used them once for about 30,000 kms and switched back to OEM's. I have not heard of this but the electrical system in this car is terrible. I go through headlights every 5 or 6 weeks. 2 or 3 months if I buy the more expensive ones.

I dont have the money to do the coils and if that is not it then to do the drive shaft. I would much rather do the coils as they are much cheaper. My theroy is the when the car is acclerating there is a vibration the shakes the car from side to side. if engine was not firing properly then there would be more of a surge back and forth. Also the vibration is very rethmic (?) is seems to alot worse when you go around a curve to the right and not so bad curving left. This leads me to beleive that when the car is loaded on the left shaft the right one gets sloppier. and when loaded on the right shaft the presure would somewhat tighten it up a bit.

Anyway I still dont have the money yet but I have scheduled the repair for this friday. If i cant get the money It will have to be put off.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Keep me posted on what you do and what happens.

I know about the $$$ thing I have been there and done that many times before.