Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

My s40 2.4 sat for 6 months now so many issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My s40 2.4 sat for 6 months now so many issues

hello everyone i have been pulling my hair out lately with my s40. I have an 06 2.4 li with around 85k miles. My had the car for 3 years 2 were a breeze no issues ran great and loved the car. I needed a truck so i got a truck and my wife took the volvo. well since then some issues have came up. First she blew a shock and busted a cv joint ( i had the car lowered which i am sure i put some beating on the suspension) the car sat for 6 months until i got around to fixing the car (we have an extra car so not a rush to fix) well anyways i fixed the car and since its been running here's what went wrong. First the battery died i replaced it then i got a misfire code on cylinder 3 i changed the plug checked the wires and changed the coil. thought that was the last issues then i noticed an oil leak took the engine cover off and the top of the motor is filled with oil dont know where its coming from. A bolt was broken when i replaced the coil so i had to rethread it in the process i lost a bolt to the engine could a missing bolt cause the leak? also the engine still has the misfire code and when i accelerate the engine stutters a bit then drives smoothly and sutters when deceleration. does anyone have any insight on how i can fix these issues. car ran great for 2 and a half years sits for 6 months and it went completely to poop.

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/indy000.jpg)
Name:  wGeMmCo.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  608.4 KB

Old 01-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your PCV top vent hose is split or the oil filler cap seal is bad. Hence the oil pool forming.
You more than likely need to have the PCV system oil trap and associated hoses cleaned out / replaced.
Do a glove test on the oil filler outlet to confirm a positive crankcase pressure as opposed to a vacuum (suction).
You can blow out front and rear camseals, rear main seal or front crank seal if the PCV system is not serviced.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:54 PM

First off thank you very much for your reply! is it a hard job to do? and where is it located at? could have it got clogged from the car being unused for 6 months? again thank you very much

Old 01-10-2014, 03:25 PM

see attached link below.
This writeup covers 5 cylinder Volvo's in general so some variations in procedure apply to each model however it gives you the general idea.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=28487

Other forum posts and info on the 2nd link also for your info.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/sea...f=FORID%3A9&ie

Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 PM

I'm looking at the picture and I don't understand. Where is the oil filler cap on this engine? Mine is at the bottom center at the image.

Anyway, can you just pull up the hose that's attached in the middle of the engine cover, see if it's leaking at the connection point. That is the hose from the PCV and might be leaking at that point if the PCV got clogged.

Any oil leak inside the spark plugs chamber past the ignition coils?

Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 PM

I agree.
Something is odd about that pic of his oil leak.
The oil filler cap is meant to be as you described, bottom centre???

Old 01-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The oil cap is not supposed to be where you two say- this is a P1, not a 2000-2004.5 S40, which is obvious because its a 5 cylinder.

The oil is likely from the PCV breather hose. I can see the clamp has been removed and someone tried to reuse it.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by difflock54
see attached link below.
This writeup covers 5 cylinder Volvo's in general so some variations in procedure apply to each model however it gives you the general idea.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=28487

Other forum posts and info on the 2nd link also for your info.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/sea...f=FORID%3A9&ie
Thanks ill check ti out

Originally Posted by oragex
I'm looking at the picture and I don't understand. Where is the oil filler cap on this engine? Mine is at the bottom center at the image.

Anyway, can you just pull up the hose that's attached in the middle of the engine cover, see if it's leaking at the connection point. That is the hose from the PCV and might be leaking at that point if the PCV got clogged.

Any oil leak inside the spark plugs chamber past the ignition coils?
no oil in the spark plugs i pulled the hoes its clear could the hose be loose? the oil only leaks on top of the engine

Originally Posted by ES6T
The oil cap is not supposed to be where you two say- this is a P1, not a 2000-2004.5 S40, which is obvious because its a 5 cylinder.

The oil is likely from the PCV breather hose. I can see the clamp has been removed and someone tried to reuse it.
is the breather hose on top of the engine?

update: just pulled hose on top of the engine and its not clogged the clamp did come off pretty easy tho. i also ran the engine to check for smoke coming out of the dipstick none came out

Last edited by talamant3z; 01-11-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:59 PM

Okay after and trial and error the hose seens not clogged now I cleaned the oil off the engine and drove it the oil seems to start to pool up by the top right corner and only there its near the last ignition coil