Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

New Radio Installation and Air Bag

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Radio Installation and Air Bag

Tech, is it true that if you pull the radio on a 2001 S40 and probe for 12V power in the radio connector with a test light its possible to set off the air bag?? Two different radio installers have told me they will not work on an S40 because of this and second, that after pulling the radio, on about half of them; the air bag light is on after installation. About $50 - $100 to clear at the dealer. What is myth and truth??

One other question, is there a way to pull the radio code before I remove it? The code card is not in the vehicle.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: New Radio Installation and Air Bag

You can get your radio code from your local dealer.Bring the regristration for the car and they will give you the radio code.I have never heard of the air bag being tied in with the radio.You should check with best buy and electronics places like that and see if they sell the adapters to plug into the factory harness and then you wont have to test any wires.Most of the time the wires if you can find them are like $15.00.That is how I would do it.

Old 02-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Metra, at www.metraonline.com, sells a bunch of wiring and dashboard kits for volvos. For some reason they don't list the newer ones, but if you call them they will give you the part numbers for the kitst that fit. Volvo electronics have historically used alpine guts, so you can add changers from alpine with there plug, replace you head unit with a normal DIN or ISO unit. They make there units specific to models so the plastic color and texture matches. A LOT better then people like scosche make. And you shouldn't probe around for power; its almostly 100% unlikely to set off an airbag, or even fault the ECU for an airbag, but unless you have a decent meter (not a autozone or radiocr@p $19.99 special) you might have enough draw from the meter to short the auto-dimming circuit or worse. But if all else fails, look at the gauge of the wires, i'm sure the ground and power are slightly larger.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: mercury320

Metra, at www.metraonline.com, sells a bunch of wiring and dashboard kits for volvos. For some reason they don't list the newer ones, but if you call them they will give you the part numbers for the kitst that fit. Volvo electronics have historically used alpine guts, so you can add changers from alpine with there plug, replace you head unit with a normal DIN or ISO unit. They make there units specific to models so the plastic color and texture matches. A LOT better then people like scosche make. And you shouldn't probe around for power; its almostly 100% unlikely to set off an airbag, or even fault the ECU for an airbag, but unless you have a decent meter (not a autozone or radiocr@p $19.99 special) you might have enough draw from the meter to short the auto-dimming circuit or worse. But if all else fails, look at the gauge of the wires, i'm sure the ground and power are slightly larger.
The air bag system is not tied into the radio system.The dash lights run off a dimmer switch that the fuse would blow if someone made a mistake.Also the radio is not tied into the ECM.