Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

No turbo boost....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No turbo boost....

2004 v40 72k miles. Im not sure how to diagnose this one. I've been searching different forums for days now trying to find out if this is a common problem with a straight forward solution. No such luck. My wife was the first to inform me of the problem. She calls me and says "the cars acting weird, it wont excelerate when I hit the gas, it shifts down a gear, the rev's go up but the cars doesn't go". At first I thought it was the tranny. But it turns out its something to do with the turbo. I couldn't replicate the problem at first. I take a look at the car the next day, I check under the hood. Oil's a little low, I top it up. Coolants way low ( just below minimum) I top it up. I take it for a test drive and the things running like a champ. About a week later it happens again and hasn't worked correctly since. It just runs with no power like you took the turbo out of the motor. I check the fluids again. Oils fine but the coolant is way down again, well this is weird I thought, has the head gasket gone?. I check the oil looking for signs of coolant in it, negative. Coolant for oil in it, negative. I pull the code P0299 with my obdII reader. Low boost signal.

SO I run a turbo test by putting the car in reverse, mashing the brake, and rev it up. The engine would only hit 2000 rpm and no turbo pressure release from the waste gate..

So my question is has anyone had this problem before? If so what was the solution? Any suggestions for diagnostic procedures for testing the turbo or do I have to pull the thing out to check it? I read on one of the forums that someone else was having similar problems and it turned out to be the boost pressure valve. If someone could elaborate on that I'd appreciate it.

cheers,

Dan

Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: No turbo boost....

I have not had this problem so I'm only guessing. It sounds like the wastegate is stuck open. Not sure exactly how to verify this though. May have to disconnect the actuator and try to move it manually.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 AM

That had occurred to me. I brought the car to work with me. I'm going to remove some of the heat shielding today and see what I can get to. With the shielding removed I can also check the vacuum system and turbo hoses. Can anyone tell me how to test the boost? I've heard you can do it through the vacuum system but I've never done it before. Any tips would be great

Dan

Old 02-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a TCV Valve<--Click Link

I also did a Write-Up how to fix it yourself which isnt that hard and will save you hundreds of $'s!!!

The part itself is only like $50

Let me know if this is what you are experiencing

Rich

Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 AM

nice write up Rich, How did you know this was the part that needed replacing? Is there a way of testing it with a multi meter? At $50 I'd like to be sure.......

Thanks

Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 PM

Do the 2000-2004.5 cars have this TCV?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:58 PM

yeah they do have the tcv......

To remove the red hose from the compressor, cant you just remove it from the boost pressure valve as its just a direct line to the compressor?? With all the plumbing I cant see where the red marked hose connects to the compressor. I looked at the vacuum diagram under the hood and it seems to be a direct hose from the compressor to the valve. I'm gonna try that first because its easiest.

Someone holla at me if I doing it wrong!!

Cheers

Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 PM

all the hoses seem ok......... I removed the main up hose that connects to the compressor. There seemed to be a fair amount of oil inside the hose and inside the outlet of the turbo. I decided to start the engine and rev it. There seemed to be no air coming from the turbo. Now I know its a low pressure turbo. But I would have thought that you would feel something coming from the turbo while reving away. I manually actuated the waste gate and it seemed to move freely with plenty of back spring.... is it safe to say that my turbo has seized? Or cant you really feel the air flow coming from the turbo?

Old 02-19-2008, 04:50 PM

Im at a loss here.... Is the waste gate normally open? or normally closed? From what I can tell the waste gate isn't stuck, the actuator seems ok (but hasn't moved during tests). The turbo doesn't seem to spool at all. Like I stated before, I removed the compressor outlet hose from the aluminum pipe that routes over the engine. Then I removed the cover by the throttle body so I could manual rev the motor while putting my hand over the compressor outlet hose. I rev the motor and couldn't feel any pressure at all. I assume my turbo isn't spooling and is seized. can anyone comment on my procedure and let me know if there's something I'm doing wrong or something else I can test? I'd hate to have to replace the turbo.... things are pretty tight at the moment

[IMG]local://upfiles/14926/06A85AB3454D4F998689F24C74BDE2FD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-19-2008, 10:29 PM

ok crisis averted Well kind of.....

The reason I couldn't replicate any of your suggestions was because the turbo was stuck... now its a forest of hoses on the intake side of the turbo and I really didn't want to try and remove the main intake hose. After I exhausted all my options I decided to give it a try. After removing the hose and pushing it to one side I had a look at the turbine using an inspection mirror and a flash light. It looked fine so I squeezed my hand in there and tried to turn the turbine with my finger. I was definately stuck on something. I worked it back and forth a little and it freed right up. I'm not sure if one of the exhaust propeller wings chipped of and got stuck or if a piece of carbon deposit made its way in there? But what ever it was seems to have passed through!!! Yeay!! It feels soooo fast after driving with no turbo!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions!!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah the part that I replaced was the TCV Valve...

Old 02-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The turbo might be going bad.
Does the enigine look like it has sludge under the oil cap?

Old 02-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Have you looked into the cost of a rebuild kit? I have not tried for this particular turbo but I have for my old T3 turbo and it runs about $90.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:24 AM

if its your turbo and your keeping the car for a while do yourself a favor and by a new 12t off of ebay and have it installed...installation is fairly simple and should only take a couple hours for a mechanic...

Old 02-28-2008, 06:51 PM

There is a used 2001 S40 turbo at 99 cents right now on ebay motors. $20 shipping too. lol, might be good to pick it up just as a spare.

And please stay away from the "superchargers" that are being sold. They are nothing more than glorified hair dryers.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:33 AM

seriously, if you need a new turbo you should just get one from ebay, japanwarehouse sells them on there for anywhere from 400 to 700 bucks depending on the quantity they have...these are the factory turbos that we have...

Old 05-15-2019, 01:09 PM

Hi,ive had a clutch put in c30,and its come back in limp mode,took it back to garage an he said he only took one pipe off and he checked it when i was there an all was tight,have you any ideas ?i dont think he knows much about volvos

Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

best to start a new thread here. you commented off topic on a ten year old thread. As far as being in limp mode, did you scan for fault codes? what warnings are appearing on the dash?

Old 05-16-2019, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
best to start a new thread here. you commented off topic on a ten year old thread. As far as being in limp mode, did you scan for fault codes? what warnings are appearing on the dash?
No warning lights on dash