Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Oil Pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure light

Hey all, My fiance was driving our '00 s40 to work this morning and saw a bit of smoke from under the hood, decided to let it cool off and then limp the car home. When she popped the hood the smoke was coming from the passenger side.

On the return trip the oil pressure light came on, so the car got parked at a nearby library. Since there was smoke preceding the light, we're very likely dealing with a leak. The car wasn't making any tapping, grinding, etc. noises, so hopefully she caught it in time. I haven't gotten to take a look at the car yet, are there any common leak spots to check? Hoses that split or any gaskets that may need replacing that come to mind for anyone?

Hoping I can get over there with a tool kit and a flashlight and get a swap done 'fore tomorrow.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine started leaking from the CVVT hub. The car left lots of oil on the ground and on the pax side drive axle. You have to take off the timing gear cover to see if the timing belt is wet.

Another time I had the turbo oil return line o-ring leak. This also left oil on the ground but more toward the center of the car.

Neither situation made the car smoke. I could see maybe the CVVT solenoid leaking causing oil to drip onto the exhaust manifold on the pax side. You will see the CVVT solenoid when you take off the timing gear cover. This solenoid controls the amount of oil sent to the CVVT gear when it adjusts the exhaust cam timing.

Make sure you check the oil level.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 AM

no oil on the ground, few drops on the inside of that timing gear cover, but not much there. oil level appears right between the lines on the dipstick.

It blew the return hose from the coolant reservoir off and there was sludge (looked like grease straight out of a grease gun) down the side of the radiator. Upon reconnecting and refilling coolant, went to start it.

There's a hole in the fuel line before the fuel pressure regulator. that sprayed across the top of the block. no electronic parts appear to be damaged, but the plastic vanity covers are melted a bit.

Thoughts, estimates? This is a bit beyond my experience level to try to fix. I think it's time to cave and drop it off at the garage, and kiss a paycheck goodbye. Anyone have a similar experience?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:55 AM

It's exactly what I was afraid of, everything I saw was a symptom of a much bigger problem: Blown Head Gasket.

I was hoping that the cosmetic plastics melted because the fuel sprayed on the block and burnt, not that the block had gotten hot enough to melt the plastics, and the fuel line.

Anyone have a lead on a good rebuilt engine, or any good DIY for doing a rebuild? I don't want to see the car go, but I'm not quite prepared to take it to a dealership and pay out the nose for repairs.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I replaced my 2001 head gasket after a slipped timing belt bent 8 valves. It's not overly difficult with basic tools and a torque wrench. I also noticed the new head gasket had slightly different holes for coolant flow. You will also need new head bolts as they are of the torque-to-yield type.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:46 AM

i just replaced my engine due to a similar event. I got my eninge from als-auto.com i get all my parts from them. it wasnt rebuilt but a used one. i payed 700 bucks for one with 50,000 miles on it. not bad. replaced it myself.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM

Sadly I have neither a garage to work on the car in, nor the money to invest in the project. Best I'm able to get for the car is 500 from a salvage yard, unless someone's in the Troy, NY area and wants to tow it away for themselves.