Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Power Cutting Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Power Cutting Out

Hey guys,

Apologies first hand for the noob post - if this problem was discussed plenty times before, can someone point me in the right direction of a thread I can get into

06 2.4 Auto trans. 79k miles

About a week ago, I started noticing that the CD player would die while driving even on short distances, paid it no mind -- figured it was just a hiccup but I was worried one time when I thought (possible) that the engine cut out for a bit. Complete loss of power but it only for a second or two.

Last night, driving home from work -- I had the CD player on, heat on, etc. and when I turned on my highbeams CD player completely shut down... decided to power down the heat and turn the player completely off, once I got home as soon as I was parking (MADE A HARD RIGHT) car completely dies. started it back up --turned the wheel left and right and everytime with no fail when the wheel turns 90 degrees in each direction car completely dies; electric, engine, etc.

NO CEL -- although a CEL would come on and off at random times while driving, it would clear off after and sometimes won't pop in for days.

Any sort of help is appreciated on what could be causing the issue.

Happy Turkey Day people!

Old 11-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The newer models need really good, steady voltage. The reason is the fuel pump. Instead of a spring loaded mechanical fuel pressure regulator, the newest Volvos regulate fuel pressure via voltage to the fuel pump. This means that any weakness in the electrical system can cause strange running issues. I write this because your issues sound voltage related.

Try placing a multimeter set to DC volts on the battery. Now have someone turn the wheel all the way as you did before. Watch the battery voltage to look for a sudden drop. Also look for any arcing or sparks. As always, check the battery cables to make sure they are tight. Just my guess.