Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Premature wear of tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premature wear of tires?

Hello, I have a quick question. I have a 2006 S40 T5 with 17,700 miles on it. It was purchased 7 months ago. On my last service at the dealership (not the one I bought the car from), they wanted to replace my tires, all four because of wear. We'd had the tires rotated during the last servicing & I probably should have had them rotated at least another time, but they are bald. Could missing one tire rotation have caused them to go bad so quickly? They are Michelins Pilot tires in R17 due to our sports package. My driving habits are 30 miles one way to work every day on rural highways so I do not drive autobahn speeds, but I do put miles on it 'cause of the daily driving. Thanks for your help. What can I do to increase my tire life. My husband bought me this car since he works overseas offshore & wanted me to have a safe car to drive. We live about an hour away from any of the dealerships so sometimes it is hard due to my job to get to the dealerships.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Default RE: Premature wear of tires?

My guess is maybe wheel aligment is all of the tire bald or or only one part?

Old 01-17-2007, 02:11 PM

Same thing happened to my 2002 S40. I made it to almost 30K before replacing, but still thought that was too early. I kept replacing the tires with the Michelin performance tires, but the same thing kept happening. I gotmylastset of tiresfrom Discount Tire, and the guy told me the tires I'dbeen keepingon my car weren't the correct rating for my car, that's why they don't last long. I ended up getting Yokohama's (~$80-85/per tire), and I've really noticed a difference in how much better the car handles now (especially in the rain). Also, if you have a Discount Tire store close by, they rotate your tires for free for the life of the tires and send email reminders when it's time to have it done. This helps them keep a record of how well the tires are holding up, and if there are any problems with premature treadwear, they'll replace them.

Good luck.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:54 PM

I got about 45k miles on the factory tires and then changed to Toyo Proxes one size larger.I drive my 02 S40 pretty hard but I also religiously rotate and balance the tires every 5000 miles and have the alignment checked every year.Every time I have checked my alignment my car has been a bit out, so it keeps me from wearing out a n expensive set of tires.I currently have 35k on the Proxes and they look new. Also watch ur air pressure in your tires-keep them aired to factory specs if not a few pounds more-they will wear a little longer and mileage will not suffer.You should get at least 35-40 k miles on a set of good tires so something is not right if ur's are worn out at 17k.BJ

Old 03-01-2007, 05:25 AM

Im at 25XXX and my tires are goin bald on some parts of the tire. I have the factory michelens. sport package and all on my s40 2.4i and i drive the heck out of her on a nice paved road here as well as the normal hawaii ****ty roads (bumps-potholes-etc...)...so the way i drive determines my tire life.

i am thinking of getting some BFG's dont know which ones yet!!!
Anyone want to guide me toward what i should buy?