Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

problems with my s40 2nd gen help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy problems with my s40 2nd gen help

hello and thank you for accepting me in this forum,i bought my first volvo s40 2n gen and very happy however some dude put salt in my gas tank, dont know what to do, does it affect my car, i did research and lots of people say that it won t do any damage however my car is not starting, it cranks but don t start, i havent drove it since i discover this. need help, and if i empty my gas tank where is located, is it difficult some tutorials or should i remove my gas pump please help this newer owner thank you and sorry for my little knowledge.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:33 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Salt, like sugar, does not dissolve in gasoline. Therefore I would suspect a clog in the sock covering the fuel pump. First things first, check your fuel pressure. If it's low (and it's truly clogged with salt) then you may be forced to pull the fuel pump and replace the sock. This is the part that protects the fuel pump from sucking in debris.

I also understand getting to the fuel pump on a 2004.5+ S40's involves dropping the tank rather than under the rear seat like the 2000-2004 models. You might want to research this more.

As I wrote above, check the fuel pressure first.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:31 PM

thanks for your help, i ll check the pressure first then, i know it sound newbie but how do i do that, this is my first volvo have had other cars but never european always japanese and i guess i should not worry about my engine nor my cylinders right..thanks.
ps. on a scale 1 to 10 how difficult to remove gas tank thx.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:51 PM

thank you for all the help i did remove the gas tank today,....for future reference it took me about 5 hours to do the whole thing, it wasnt very difficult but since i did it at my house i did not have a lift or anything so it was difficult to work under the car. I ll put as much info as i can and hopefully this will help other people in future, remember there is no access to the pump thru the rear seats on 2nd generation s40 so forget about it, it s on top of the tank(plastic tank) so need to remove the tank to get access to fuel pump and filter. there is a couple of metal protectors that you have to remove they protect the heat coming from the muffler separating the tank and the muffler s heat. you have to undo. Then there is 3 metal strap retaining the gas tank you need to remove those screws and undo all the connectors going to the gas tank i think there was 3 or 4. you ll see them. make sure that you have something or someone to help you with the gas tank if it s half full or full, mine was half and it was heavy. after disconecting the connectors or hoses i remove the tank, the fuel pump is on top, i used a screw driver and small hammer to carefully unscrew the fuel pump,be careful not to brake it. remove the fuel pump and found that there was very little salt on the tank barely nothing, what happened is that the salt was stock on the neck coming from the gas lid to the gas tank, we blew some air inside the gas lid to make sure to remove remaining salt, carefully try to clean the pump and reinstall everything, car seems to work it started but the code p0300 reappeared but is running fine now so don t know exactly if a small particle of salt was giving me all the problems but for now it s working, have some pictures if someone needs them let me know i ll be glad to help, thank you guys for your tips and precious help. will keep posting thank

Old 03-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

p03000 is random misfire - probably related to the fuel pump issue - try clearing the code and see if it returns. Did you change out the fuel filter as part of this ordeal? If the code returns that may be your next task.