Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Rattling from White Casing--Strut?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling from White Casing--Strut?

I have a 2003 S40. When I am on a bumpy road, there is rattling on psgr side in the engine near where the wipers are (that quadrant).

I saw that it is coming from that white metal casing on that side, the center piece can be pressed down, so it rattles on a bumpy road hitting the white metal casing, I am guessing.

My garage guessed without looking that it is the strut, and it is broken. They said it is a plastic ring inside that is broken, and that it is very expensive to fix.

This was just a first step in discussing it with the garage. I am on here to get more info and opinions.

Does this sound right? If so, what would the repair cost be?

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be that your strut bearing has perished or other related parts of the strut mount (there are a few). Before going there, I would check your anti-roll-bar link (a vertical piece with a ball joint at both ends) that connects the anit-roll-bar to the strut. See link for guide.

Replacing the Drop Links (Anti Roll Bar Links) - Volvo Owners Club Forum

Taking the strut out is a 45min job. The challenge is that a) you probably want to replace each of the mount parts to be safe (bearing - $20, rubber ring - $50, plastic white bearing cover - $10, and mount - $80). None of these are crazy expensive but the parts do add up. You will also require an alignment done afterwards. Given this and the fact that the other side is probably just as old, you might as well do both...all in all probably around $500 with alignment included. Just make sure your shocks/struts are in good shape -if you were considering replacing them...now would be a good time.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the price my garage quoted me to replace both struts, and whatever that means as far as all the parts that get replaced, the last time we spoke.

I also need new tires. How bad is it to get new tires first and drive on them a month or so before getting the new struts? Will that short time create uneven wear on new tires?