Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 II 1.8 Fuel Pressure Regulator code

Old 07-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Default S40 II 1.8 Fuel Pressure Regulator code

Hi ,
Where can I find the code for the fuel pressure regulator?
I have a Volvo from 2005 1.8 SE and I got starting problems ,
The car is starting after 5-10 seconds of cranking , not always , except this the car drives mint . I want to change this fuel pressure regulator first because I strongly think that this is the problem.

Thank you!

Old 07-07-2019, 04:24 PM

have you already scanned for OBD2 codes? The 1.8 never came to the US so I can only assume its FI is similar to the 2.4i - which in 2005 or so changed from using a fuel pressure regulator to using a fuel pressure regulator and variable pump. On the Gen1 cars with the 1.9 which used the fuel pressure regulator - the typical fail was a torn diaphram which let the pressure bleed out of the rail so there was no residual pressure for the cold start. This would not throw a code as once the car cranked for a bit, the pressure would return to normal. The quick test for the FPR is to pull the vacuum hose off the sensor and see if any fuel drips out of the port. The other test is to meaure your fuel pressure at the rail using the shraeder valve to see what the pressure is for a cold start and steady state pressure once the car is running. If your car only has the pressure sensor design, then you can test for pressure at the rail directly. To note - there's a huge price difference between the Gen 1's fuel pressure regulator ($230 US ) and the pressure sensor ($35 US)...

Old 07-08-2019, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127 View Post
have you already scanned for OBD2 codes? The 1.8 never came to the US so I can only assume its FI is similar to the 2.4i - which in 2005 or so changed from using a fuel pressure regulator to using a fuel pressure regulator and variable pump. On the Gen1 cars with the 1.9 which used the fuel pressure regulator - the typical fail was a torn diaphram which let the pressure bleed out of the rail so there was no residual pressure for the cold start. This would not throw a code as once the car cranked for a bit, the pressure would return to normal. The quick test for the FPR is to pull the vacuum hose off the sensor and see if any fuel drips out of the port. The other test is to meaure your fuel pressure at the rail using the shraeder valve to see what the pressure is for a cold start and steady state pressure once the car is running. If your car only has the pressure sensor design, then you can test for pressure at the rail directly. To note - there's a huge price difference between the Gen 1's fuel pressure regulator ($230 US ) and the pressure sensor ($35 US)...

I can't find the fuel pressure regulator or vacuum hose. Can you please help me?
I attached pictures with the engine. Thank you!!

Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 PM

don't think you have a fuel pressure regulator only a fuel pressure sensor. On the Gen 1s the pressure regulator bolts onto the driver's side of the fuel rail and has the fuel line going into it. Looks like your model uses a fuel pressure sensor.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127 View Post
don't think you have a fuel pressure regulator only a fuel pressure sensor. On the Gen 1s the pressure regulator bolts onto the driver's side of the fuel rail and has the fuel line going into it. Looks like your model uses a fuel pressure sensor.

Thank you for your time and effort!

The engine code is
b4184s11
It looks like is 1.8 16v . How could I check if it got a fuel pressure sensor?
Thank you!