S40 not starting please help! - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:52 AM

Default S40 not starting please help!

Hi there, since some time now, I have removed my started from my Volvo S40 Diesel 2006 Model (for fixing). now that I am starting the car after push, I have noticed after some time now that the car does not start, and is giving the following messages: "Anti-skid temporarily off, Power steering service required, brake failure stop safely, srs airbag service urgent."
And beside the above, the light in the dashboard is switching on and off once the key is placed in the ignition, and windows are malfunctioning.

I really need your help: is there anything I have to do? or only the dealer can save me from this trouble?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:05 PM

sounds very much like one of the battery connections is not tight somewhere.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 PM

Default Issue on my S40

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.
yesterday I decided to check some fuses and I had to remove some and gave them a soft hit in the palm of my hand, and replaced them then tried to start the S40 diesel by pushing it, and it started like nothing happened before.
This morning coming to work, I tried to start it again, and it refused and gave the error message: "Anti-skid temporarily off".

Then I decided to wait for few seconds for that message to disappear, then I checked to make sure I only had two messages being low beam I think, and service required, then tried to push again, and the car started with no problem.

I am now wondering if this is linked to a major service that might be needed, or if I still have to have it checked.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flory Kapend View Post
Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.
yesterday I decided to check some fuses and I had to remove some and gave them a soft hit in the palm of my hand, and replaced them then tried to start the S40 diesel by pushing it, and it started like nothing happened before.
This morning coming to work, I tried to start it again, and it refused and gave the error message: "Anti-skid temporarily off".

Then I decided to wait for few seconds for that message to disappear, then I checked to make sure I only had two messages being low beam I think, and service required, then tried to push again, and the car started with no problem.

I am now wondering if this is linked to a major service that might be needed, or if I still have to have it checked.

Nah, I would not think so. BTW - you can reset the "maintenance required" message yourself. Try this method:

Last edited by pierremcalpine; 01-12-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 AM

Default S40

Thank you for your response and suggestions.

I will try that. in the mean time, my car has just stopped working, not starting or anything like that. We tried pushing it, no result.
I had a mechanic looking into it, and he said that we first need toe started back in so he can be able to check all messages whenever he tries to start, and he'll take it from there. Hopefully this time we will get to some sort of final and definitive solution.

Best regards,