Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Should I buy this car? -- 2006 S40 T5

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this car? -- 2006 S40 T5

Hi,
I am seriously considering buying a 2006 Volvo S40. It has about 12K on it and is going for $24K. It is a T5 with premium package, 2WD, not sure about premium trim (it does have leather seats), also has a sunroof.

I'm hoping some of you can tell me a) if this is a good deal and b) what you like/don't like about your cars. What would you change if you could? What feature do you wish you had sprung for? How is the maintenance and reliability?

I would also like to know what kind of performance mods are out there for this car and an idea of cost vs. gain for those mods.

I've done my research through consumer reports and such, now I'd like to know what you guys think.

Thank you!

Old 09-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should I buy this car? -- 2006 S40 T5

sounds like a awesome deal, why are you NOT considering it?

Rich

Old 09-16-2007, 09:27 PM

Have you ever seen a Volvo without the diagonal slash across the grill? The one I'm considering doesn't have that. Is it all one piece? Are there aftermarket options for a grill without the slash?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah thats nothing to worry about, that sounds like an aftermarket grill

there are more and more aftermarket parts coming out for the S40's..

Rich

Old 09-19-2007, 07:18 PM

I bought my S40 last year around July when volvo was giving very generous factory rebates (it was either 4 or 5k off). I got the car newfor justunder26k(plus taxes and other fun stuff), mine is T5, Leather, Sunroof, Convience Pckg (auto dimming mirror + garage door), plus auto stick. If I remember right it has everything except for sports package,thespecialtraction control (standard for 07 now) ,Nav, Xeon lights, and premium audio. I know 3,500 is still a lot of money, even if it is the difference between new/used, just thought I'd give you a comparison vs. looking at the new MSRP sticker price, which depending on the season, is way off.

In terms of reliability, I'd say the actual driving components, that move the car, are of great quality and reliablity. But, what volvo seems to lag in, is pretty much everything else. In the first 6 months of my ownership my alarm systemhad to beserviced andair distributioncomponent replaced. The trunk used to be a complete pain to close (it just would never close right unless you applied the exact amount of force) and I thought it was just a terrible design, butafter the last timeI took it in, they must have fixed it without me telling them to. I don't think I'm alone in these issues, it seems like a lot of other people with s40s get early ownership electronic/climate control issues. Depending on where you live, these things are not a big deal at all, for all I do is drop off the car, get a new volvo loaner, and the next day the problem is easily fixed.

Overall a great car, that has some very nice acceleration from 35-60.(thats the turbo) Don't listen to people who say the car has a wind noise problem; I have no idea what they are talking about, it is pretty damn quiet on the highway.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 AM

Hey there!
I bought a new 06' S40 in July of 2006. Although I love the look of the car, it has had more than its fair share of issues, and my particular dealer (as was Volvo customer service) have not been helpful in getting the car repaired properly. If it is a Volvo dealer selling the car, ask to view a copy of the complete service history w/ no omissions. If not the Volvo dealer... find out which dealer it came from in your area and get the service records. If the car is not from your region... ask to take it to the local Volvo dealer for a pre-sale inspection (the best 200 bucks you could ever spend) and ask for the service history to be pulled from their database. In my car, some of the many issues included binding/broken passenger seat belt, a defective passenger weight sensor that would shut off air bag protection for that location, broken CD changer, noisy seat frame (after 4 repairs never fixed), electrical gremlin that causes outside temp gague to read -32, A/C issues, binding windows, courtesy light falling off the car, ect... See my other posts and the responses from others to them. The T5 is a different animal drive train wise, and the one I tested was a blast to drive. You just have to decide if you can live w/ the annoying issues that may plague the car. I have also had four recall repairs in the first year as well. I'd certainly spring for the extended warranty, and make sure it is a bumper to bumper. Also... check the distance between the brake pedal and the accelerator. I can no longer wear half of my shoe collection because the pedals are way to close. Hopefully the t5 will have the HID headlight option, mine are pittifully underpowered. The 06 models do not have an iPod connector or the ability to play MP3's, which was added in 07'. Price is okay... but the 08's acre coming and have been redesigned... a good bargaining point

Old 09-26-2007, 12:59 PM

I have a 2006 T5 AWD and love it I just had my shop put in a custom audio and video system with 5.1 surround sound and a subwoofer. The car is amazing all around I just need to sell it I have a baby on the way. I think you will love this car.