Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

SRS Light On Constantly - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS Light On Constantly - Please Help

A few months ago I posted this:

"there was an annoying vibrating noise coming from the dash so like any man would do, i hit the dash with my fist.

then the SRS light came on and now it won't go off. i've disconnected/reconnected the battery and that didn't help either.

any thoughts on how to reset this thing without paying the dealer a fortune to do it. i'm certain there's nothing wrong with the system; the car was just at the dealer for an inspection about 2 weeks ago and it checked out fine.

please help???"

I received the following reply from "SVTfocusO3", but I don't know what he means by "disconnecting both terminals and touching them together".

I sent him a message, but haven't heard back and I'm still having the issue with the SRS light being on constantly.

The car is due for state inspection in another month and it won't pass with the light on. I really hate to pay the dealer 100's of $$'s to fix this if there's a way to reset it myself. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the airbags as this happened immediately after I pounded the dashboard with my fist.

SVTfocusO3 replied:

try disconnecting both terminals and touching them together for 15 min., then re-install. let me know.

Any help at all with this problem is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Any chain auto parts store like Autozone or Advance will have an OBD II code scanner. Have them erase the stored trouble code (it's free). Then when you restart the car it will go through it's self test and either reset the code or not if the problem is gone.

Personally I would not be touching any wires together on the SRS system.

If you have the annoying squeak from the right dashboard area try spraying some lubricant into the top of the strut tower under the hood. That cured mine. I also have a metallic rattling sound in the same general area. This one I cannot find as I think it's from the metal substructure holding the dash together. I really don't want to tear the dash apart to fix it.

Last edited by Hudini; 12-28-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-28-2010, 01:05 PM

yeah, that's the thing. i have an OBD II code scanner and there's no code when i connect it.

so i'm kinda stuck on how to reset the light or figure out what to do.

the dealer wants to inspect the system first and then reset it. at ~ $80/hr for labor, i'm not too thrilled to have them do this.

any other ideas??

anybody??

Old 12-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't believe that a generic code reader will read the SRS codes for these cars. The SRS is not something to mess with. Unfortunately, it can be very expensive.

My '02 S40 SRS light came on and I took it to Volvo Service. The code was for a right side impact sensor. They replaced it and the light came on again. This time the code was for the right side air curtain, OUCH! The checked the harnesses to make sure it wasn't a bad connection but ended up replacing the air curtain. They admitted that this was rare. The light came on again indicating that it was again the right side air curtain. They diagnosed that it was a bad SRS controller, OUCH again! The total bill would have been over $3000, except I had the VIP extended warranty.

I would check connections. You may want to disconnect the battery to avoid trigging an airbag. The SRS controller, I believe, is located under the front passenger seat. The connectors can get bumped by stuff sliding around the floor.

Stan

Old 12-29-2010, 11:02 AM

found this. anybody have any experience with it? says it will diagnose and reset the SRS light.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/Live-Data-Interface-Tool-CODE-READER-VOLVO-Scanner--SZC648-_p42997.html