Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Sudden loss of Power, or Hesitation ---asking for Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sudden loss of Power, or Hesitation ---asking for Help

Im new to the board, like what I have seen, and love my Volvo!

What I have is a 2004.5 S40 T5 FWD.

Love the car! Have had it for a year, bought it used, car has 66,000 miles.

My issue is about 2000 miles ago I noticed some hesitation when on highway at about 2500 rpms, but last week it changed, now it will loose all power all of a sudden, like it wants to stall but it never stalls. Its happened while doing 40mph, and 80mph.....I floor it and nothing, sit there glidding for a few seconds then it comes back.

I have replaced all the spark plugs verifiying Gap spacing it correct, new air filter, and oil change. Also I only run Prem Gas, and added a cleaner this last fill up to see if that fixes it. Oil is full Syntic.

I was thinking of replacing my gas filter, but wanted to ask everyone else here what they think the issue might be?

I would take it to the volvo dealer to have it looked at, but they are 75miles one way from my house!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 AM

Also, no Check engine light comes on when this happens!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Default Check Engine light came on!

Check Engine Light came on, stoped by the auto store and ran codes:

Code P0193 came on.

Any idea what it is??

Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 PM

humm I having almost quite the same issue... like when you start the car, it has full power but as you drive it..it seems that theres no more power meaning: no acceleration even if you push the gas pedal to the max. I have the same car as you and pretty much not satisfy with all the problems that I'm getting. I'm planning to change the Turbo Valve pressure before changing the ECU.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 AM

My issue (engine code) is due to a lack of pressure to the Fuel Rail. I know on the S60's there is recall on the Fuel Rail Sensor and Im wondering if I have the same issue. I also know there is recall on the Gas Pump (got the letter yesterday) so Im wondering if that is the issue. I am going to replace the fuel filter first then have them do the Fuel Pump.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Talking power loss

seem to be a number of people around with the same power loss. A computer reading gave my v40 diesel a fault reading which indicated a failing exhaust sensor.the garage zeroed the reading and the acceleration came back. has happened twice so sensor/s may be only occasionally faulty.

bob in somerset England

Old 01-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For you all with gasoline engines...

Check your spark plugs / wires / coil packs?

Stan

Old 04-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same Issue, Help. Did you resolve this problem?

Hi All, I've been having the same loss of power hesitation issue for a little over a month. The Check Engine light just came on today for the first time. Code P0193 as well, Fuel rail pressure sensor high input? Also a P0190 fuel rail sensor malfunction. Did you fix this issue and what was the problem. I have a Volvo Service center close to me (40 miles to it) and this issue started to happen right when I got it back from them when they failed miserably at trying to diagnose and fix a whistle from my turbo. So all in all I won't take my car back to them. Any help or suggestions.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 06-05-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: language
Old 04-23-2010, 02:25 AM

Well after spending $$ and a few 60mile trips to the dealer I took the car to my local Ford dealer and 2 hours later drove out with a new F150 4x4! Sorry I cant help you out more!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 AM

does ur car have problems starting up in the morning? What type of plugs did u use?

Old 08-05-2010, 05:30 AM

Finally got this issue resolved a month ago at a dealership in St. Louis. It ended up being a fuel sensor that was causing the hesitation/loss of power. They also found a manafold pipe that had rotted out that they thought was contributing to the issue but it still had cut out and loss power after they fixed the pipe just sounded a little better. Once the fuel sensor came in and was replaced the car has ran great. If you want to know the exact sensor ill try to look it up on the invoice. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
XC90_CRC (10-19-2020)
Old 08-05-2010, 05:34 AM
Default Resolved Issue

Finally got this issue resolved a month ago at a dealership in St. Louis. It ended up being a fuel sensor that was causing the hesitation/loss of power. They also found a manafold pipe that had rotted out that they thought was contributing to the issue but it still had cut out and loss power after they fixed the pipe just sounded a little better. Once the fuel sensor came in and was replaced the car has ran great. If you want to know the exact sensor ill try to look it up on the invoice. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear that it is fixed and thanks for sharing the info.
Stan

Old 08-08-2010, 10:14 AM

i had similar problems when outside temp was hot. but my codes were cyl 1 and 4 misfire. i changed the ignition coil, clean up maf sensor, and air filter using volvo original from dealer. it seems to do the trick. p0193 is something to do with fuel sensor and fuel pump.

hope it helps.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 AM
Default Fuel Pressure Sensor

The sensor that was causing the cut outs loss of power on my 05 T5 AWD was a fuel pressure sensor. The only possible part number on the invoice for the sensor is 31272732 but this may be a stock number for the dealership. If there is more than one fuel pressure sensor on this year/type I recommend calling this dealership, West County Volvo 636-227-8303, to get the part number from the above number. The sensor wasn't cheap either at $196.47 and was on back order which makes me think this issue is happening quite a bit. All said and done it cost me $260 parts and labor which is worth it since the issue continues to get worse until the car will actually die while driving and then not start for a while. Good Luck

Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM

So T5_AWD_05...did the fuel pressure sensor completely solve the problem? I am having a similar problem and my car is to the point that it is stalling while I am driving on the freeway. It starts by not acknowledging my pressure on the gas pedal. It looses speed, then at some point, the car just turns off. I wait for a few minutes on the side of the road, and usually, it will start back up and work fine. However, this is becoming more frequent very quickly, and is taking longer before it will restart on the side of the road. I bought my 2004.5 s40 t5 last August (2012). The car had it's regular scheduled maintenance in July 2012. It also had been taken for the fuel pump recall and all suggested updates to software.
I really love it, but the maintenance is quite pricey. Plus, I am very hesitant to take my car to a Volvo dealer after I had an issue with the immobilizer and key (they wanted me to have my car towed and thought it was a $600 ignition problem. After looking through the forum, I found others who had a similar problem and locked and unlocked the car five times to reset the immobilizer. Wow - it worked! So instead of spending money to tow the car and $600 to fix it, I had a free remedy thanks to helpful forum members). I have already replaced the oil pan (which was causing a suction problem), air filter, and cabin air filter (as well as oil changes). When I have spoken to Volvo dealer service centers, they have been vague about a solution. They suggested it could be fuel filter/pump/sensor, etc. Another serviceman believed it was an electrical problem. I cannot afford to have all of these checked and/or replaced. The dealers charge significantly for diagnostic work and I really don't trust them. I can't afford to replace a costly fuel pump or sensor just to find that the problem continues. PLEASE, PLEASE help if you have any ideas. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the check engine light on? Are you getting the P0193 code?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:51 AM

Yes, the engine light is often on. The only message I receive is the "time for regular maintenance" message or "reduced engine function." The latter I have only received twice. When you ask about the code, are you referring to a message in the dashboard area or a code from having diagnostic testing done?
Thanks!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The diagnostic code. The other "time for regular maintenance" message is simply an oil change and routine servicing reminder. The diagnostic code will set in the computer's memory when the "Check Engine" light is on. It can be retrieved for free by the people at Advance Auto or Autozone or O'reilly, etc, because they want to sell you any new parts you might need.

The P0193 is for high fuel pressure. If the pressure is falsely reading high then the car's computer, aka ECM, cuts back fuel pressure by pulling voltage from the fuel pump which causes a power loss as the actual fuel delivered is not sufficient to run the engine. I would verify fuel pump pressure with a manual pressure gauge though.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:13 PM

Wow! Thanks, Hudini! I am obviously not an auto mechanic, but I try to research and learn as much as I can before attempting to take my car for service. It makes me a better advocate for myself, plus, I am generally much happier with the outcome. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I have an AutoZone just down the street and I will definitely go get it checked asap (hopefully tonight)! I will let you know the outcome.

Quick Reply: Sudden loss of Power, or Hesitation ---asking for Help