Transmission Oil - Page 2 - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Transmission Oil

Old 02-08-2019, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Zippy83 View Post

Toyota’s price is $1 cheaper LOL. I will look online..

This is the only oil I was able to find that says on it the rating 3309..

Old 02-08-2019, 06:06 PM

That's what I'd get then. IIRC, I have been using Valvoline synthetic 3309, but I didn't see any link to that fluid on Amazon (maybe it's been retired?). There's also an Aisin fluid that is a lot less money than Volvo charges - and they actually built the transmission, so chances are it'll work. ;-)

Old 02-09-2019, 05:30 PM

I have also found these two on the internet

Not sure what the difference is

https://www.myswedishparts.com/p/Vol...7/1161640.html

https://www.myswedishparts.com/p/Vol.../31256775.html

The part numbers are different and that is all I can see.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:50 PM

It's probably the same stuff, either number.

If it was me, I'd much rather buy 12 quarts for $100 delivered than 4 quarts for $60 (plus whatever they charge you to deliver it). That way, you can do three drain-and-fills instead of just one.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
It's probably the same stuff, either number.

If it was me, I'd much rather buy 12 quarts for $100 delivered than 4 quarts for $60 (plus whatever they charge you to deliver it). That way, you can do three drain-and-fills instead of just one.
yup done and done

Old 02-11-2019, 01:42 PM

I don't know it's too late, but I just did the math on that and 12 quarts for $100 comes down to $8.33 per quart. That's an outrageous price, at least in the USA and I'm assuming you are in the US. You can do a search all around the internet, the general consensus seems to be that JWS 3309 is actually Toyota Type-IV fluid. The 5 speed automatic transmissions in 2000s Volvos were made by Aisin-Warner, a company that Toyota owns a part of. Therefore, the fluid they use is the same. You can buy the fluid made by Aisin on Rockauto for $4.36/quart. You can also buy the fluid from Idemitsu, another oil company like ExxonMobil. In fact, if you go on FCPEuro, in their transmission service kits, they sell Idemitsu's fluid TYPE -TLS as the real fluid to use. Type-TLS seems to be the same thing as Type-IV as well. I decided to get mine from a Toyota dealer since I have some near my house and my mom has a 2003 Camry and I have an Aisin transmission in my S40.

I visited my local Toyota dealer's parts dept and asked for T-IV fluid at $5/quart and the guy behind the counter told me "We don't negotiate our prices, it will be $7.99/quart. So I thanked him and left. Later, I was dropping my sister to work a whole city away, and saw a Toyota dealer there. I was at the light to go towards home and called the parts dept there real quick. I asked the guy if I could get some T-IV fluid for $5/quart and he said "$5.27?" I said "Yep, I'm on my way." 10 minutes later I walked out of there with 5 quarts for only $26 and some change. I'm gonna go back and get more when I decide to do my mom's car as well.

Shop around a bit.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by abdullahcfix View Post
I don't know it's too late, but I just did the math on that and 12 quarts for $100 comes down to $8.33 per quart. That's an outrageous price, at least in the USA and I'm assuming you are in the US. You can do a search all around the internet, the general consensus seems to be that JWS 3309 is actually Toyota Type-IV fluid. The 5 speed automatic transmissions in 2000s Volvos were made by Aisin-Warner, a company that Toyota owns a part of. Therefore, the fluid they use is the same. You can buy the fluid made by Aisin on Rockauto for $4.36/quart. You can also buy the fluid from Idemitsu, another oil company like ExxonMobil. In fact, if you go on FCPEuro, in their transmission service kits, they sell Idemitsu's fluid TYPE -TLS as the real fluid to use. Type-TLS seems to be the same thing as Type-IV as well. I decided to get mine from a Toyota dealer since I have some near my house and my mom has a 2003 Camry and I have an Aisin transmission in my S40.

I visited my local Toyota dealer's parts dept and asked for T-IV fluid at $5/quart and the guy behind the counter told me "We don't negotiate our prices, it will be $7.99/quart. So I thanked him and left. Later, I was dropping my sister to work a whole city away, and saw a Toyota dealer there. I was at the light to go towards home and called the parts dept there real quick. I asked the guy if I could get some T-IV fluid for $5/quart and he said "$5.27?" I said "Yep, I'm on my way." 10 minutes later I walked out of there with 5 quarts for only $26 and some change. I'm gonna go back and get more when I decide to do my mom's car as well.

Shop around a bit.
you found a deal, my toyota and volvo dealership wanted in the high 20’s for the 3309 rated oil. For me $8.49 was and still is a deal. However that to me sounds they are seling it to you at cost..

Last edited by Zippy83; 02-11-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:06 PM

Maybe the fluid with the other ratings is "the same", maybe it isn't. It wouldn't be worth taking the chance to me unless there was clear documentation on the fact that the fluid would be the same, from the manufacturer (Volvo or Aisin). Seems like a bit of a risk for savings of a couple bucks a quart (less if you consider the $100 for 12 quarts includes delivery). And FWIW, I know a lot of fluids that are the "wrong spec" will "work" in different transmissions, but the different fluids all seem to have a unique set of additives and properties tuned to the particular type of transmission they're designed for. Saving some money on fluid is going to seem like less of a bargain if/when the transmission starts acting up.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:54 PM

After fist change (4 quarts) the transmission shifts smooth. I do not feel the rough downshift when the car comes to a complete stop anymore. I will drive if for about 300 miles and change again.. I have two more cycles to go through..

Old 02-19-2019, 02:57 PM

Zippy, you're on the right track. Great news that the first drain-and-fill seems to have made a difference. A couple more, and the fluid will be a LOT cleaner than it was when you started the process, so any fluid-related issues will be gone. Keep us posted.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:40 PM

Will do. It will take a couple of weeks but I will get there