Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Transmission Performance Low

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 07:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Performance Low

Hello guys

Need your help/suggestion on below error message i receive

I have just repaired and overhauled my gearbox due to jerking & transmission slip 2 weeks ago.
Since then i keep receiving error message "transmission performance low"
i notice that the error will often come when i shift my gear from D to R. Once the error message pops i can't reverse the gear anymore even though it is in R position and forward gear stuck at #2.

Does anyone experience this before?

S40 2009 2.0 L

Thanks guys

The following users liked this post:
Bikanga (12-12-2022)
Old 11-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s4kho
Hello guys

I have just repaired and overhauled my gearbox due to jerking & transmission slip 2 weeks ago.
i notice that the error will often come when i shift my gear from D to R. Once the error message pops i can't reverse the gear anymore even though it is in R position and forward gear stuck at #2.

S40 2009 2.0 L

Thanks guys
hi I have the same model and year s40 and I got the same warning yesterday did you ever find out what was at fault

Old 01-18-2021, 05:09 AM

Hi,

Did you find the solution for "Low performance transmission"?
S40 too
Thanks,
Florian Dumitru

Old 12-12-2022, 12:09 PM
Default Transmission performance low

Originally Posted by s4kho
Hello guys

S40 2009 2.0 L

Thanks guys
I drive volvo xc60 model 2014 my car started leaking under the gearbox when I took it to the mechanic he told me we needed to change a gearbox seal which we changed and I made gearbox serviced but when I was driving then it brought a message on the dashboard reading "transmission performance low" what could this be is it wrong gear box oil because I did not use the recommended DCT gear box oil.
Bikanga Muzamil
Uganda

Old 12-12-2022, 01:41 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes, if you used the wrong fluid, you can cause all sorts of problems.

Now the fun will be getting all of that wrong fluid out of the transmission and new fluid into it. About the only way to do that would be to disconnect the line that carries fluid TO the transmission fluid cooler, and run the engine long enough to drain out two quarts / liters of fluid, then put two quarts / liters of fluid back in, and repeat the process until only new fluid is coming out. That's going to take 10-12 quarts of fluid.

The following users liked this post:
Bikanga (12-15-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

+1, also make sure you follow the correct procedure for setting the fluid level. On most, there is a cold and warm line on the dipstick, fill to the cold line then do a driving cycle (google around but its like 15 minutes of mixed speeds ) then check the fill against the warm line to top off. Probably a youtube video available as well. Note on the six speeds that have a dual nut drain port, the inner nut removes the plug while leaving the drain tube that sets the level. You'd need a VIDA or similar scan tool to measure the transmission fluide temp, then set the level when its at 55C. Again there are vids to show you how (My VW DSG uses a similar drain tube design but the DSG gets filled from the top which requires removing the battery+tray!!)