Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

trunk won't open

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk won't open

I have a 2000 S40 and the trunk won't open. I don't have the key fob, so I'm just trying to use the key and press the button on the trunk. After trying a bunch of different ways, I finally decided to crawl in the back and open from the inside. Surprise, there is no safety pull cord on this year/model I guess. So I removed the latch from the trunk lid and then removed the carpet from the underside of the trunk to see what was going on - (or not going on) The problem appears to be either a missing part or something became disconnected from something. (See pic)
The white, plastic triangle piece just in front of my middle finger (a cam of sorts) appears to have been attached to something on the end where the small amount of grease is located. But I can't tell where. When I rotate it, it doesn't seem to line up with anything to hook/attach to. This piece, when rotated downward, is what triggers the trunk latch to open. There's nothing loose in the trunk cavity that I can see unless it's wedged down in there somewhere... Any clues as to what/how is is supposed to be are appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails trunk won't open-trunklatch.jpg