Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Valve/Valve Lifter Noise Tick Tick possible causes and Repair.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peace562
Hi Guys, finally had some time to do the work, when I got to removing the Exhaust VVT gear I found that whoever did the previous Job used silicone all Over the Cam Seal. It was all over the Place (someone went Silicone happy) did the best that I could to try and remove it all, but I think it was possibly a futile attempt, more on that in a Minute. I replaced the VVT as well with a Used tested VVT. I should note there didn't seem to be a fault with the original one, but since I had just ordered this one I figured what the hay. I Installed, tightened the Cam Screw Snugly, adjusted the Gear to match the timing marks, put on the timing belt (I really struggled with this part, that belt is tough) finally suceeded! i removed the Cam Lock, rolled the engine clockwise twice,reconnected everything and Fired her up. While she was still in my garage she seemed fine so I decided to take her for a drive, Got her on the street she seemed to be drivIng well got her on the freeway and got it up to about 70 again everything seemed good. When I got back home and popped the hood though, It was as though no progress had been made, belt had oil again, it was flinging from around the pulley left a Trail on the roof of the hood, and to add to it I found a Moderate oil spot on the floor and water dripping fom around the Oil reservoir and further back on the passenger side. Feel like i'm now at - square 1. I'm thinkibg the seal isn't properly installed due to small portions of silicone still stuck in their or maybe I didn't torque the center bolt tight enough or maybe also the PCV system has something to do with. One things for sure it looks like i'm going to have to go back in there.

Sorry to hear that you still have an oil leak after all of that work. The VVT gears are notorious for leaking once they get about 100k on them. Look around the outside of the VVT gear and you will find a small depression that has a little plunger coming out of it. That is where they leak. If you see oil pooling up around that then you will need to get a NEW VVT gear, I would not mess with used ones simply because of the leaking issues they have.

There are some images of the VVt gear and the plunger in this post:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...y-39343/page2/

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that is very, very frustrating. I'm not sure that the silicon would be the issue though. If you have pressed the new seal in (you did use a new seal, right) just 1mm past the little indentation in the cam cover you should no longer have to worry as the silicon would not have made it that far in.

Just to be safe though, go get yourself some of that silicon remover stuff and apply it to the naked cam and let it sit for 30min. Then very carefully scrape the silicon off without damaging the surrounding metal. Also, are you certain that you pressed the seal back in nice and straight using a drift of some kind? I agree - you need to go with a NEW VVT gear. Don't mess around - this coming from someone who had to go back in to do that same job 2x!

Old 02-20-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine
Wow, that is very, very frustrating. I'm not sure that the silicon would be the issue though. If you have pressed the new seal in (you did use a new seal, right) just 1mm past the little indentation in the cam cover you should no longer have to worry as the silicon would not have made it that far in.

Just to be safe though, go get yourself some of that silicon remover stuff and apply it to the naked cam and let it sit for 30min. Then very carefully scrape the silicon off without damaging the surrounding metal. Also, are you certain that you pressed the seal back in nice and straight using a drift of some kind? I agree - you need to go with a NEW VVT gear. Don't mess around - this coming from someone who had to go back in to do that same job 2x!

Yeah New Seal haha, low on funds atm, just received a new seal and bore plug have the cam taken apart . Just bought some gasket remover because the silicone was all over the place including towards the back of the cam slot. Additionally, I pretty much Rushed my first attempt and realized that The Seal was installed the other way around .
Bonehead Mistake I Know. Taking My Time This Time around and Coeaning out the Breather box while I'm at it, and replacing the motor Mount as well. I'll have a Full recap Once I'm done Guys thanks for all your help.

The following users liked this post:
Jack Thomas Moore (02-15-2020)