Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

volvo s40 won't go up hill

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volvo s40 won't go up hill

Good afternoon everyone, how are you?
I'm new here, this is my first post..
My name is Fellipe, I'm from Brazil and unfortunately in my country you can find almost nothing related to VOLVO, here people only think about Volkswagen lol...

I recently purchased a 2007 Volvo S40 at auction, gasoline engine, 2.5 T5 5cc automatic and I'm struggling to diagnose a problem that only occurs when I need to climb a hill, the car simply seems to override the accelerator pedal, no light comes on on the dashboard , the car has absolutely no power, but when driving on the streets the car has no defects and accelerates without problems.

As I bought it at auction and I have no maintenance history on it, I carried out the following maintenance as soon as I bought it:
Oil and oil filter change;
Changing spark plugs;
Cleaning of feeding nozzles;
I tested cylinder compression;
I tested the coils;
Fuel pump replacement;
Changing the fuel filter;
Changing the air filter;

The gearbox seems to be ok, it works in manual mode, it changes gears without jerking or anything like that, the problem only appears when going up a hill where it is necessary to accelerate hard.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:58 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

You might have a problem with your catalytic converter. The catalyst material is a ceramic honeycomb wafer. Exhaust blows thru the tubes of the honeycomb material. That honeycomb can break up and will bounce around forming the shape of a ball - the ball get blown into the exit of the converter blocking the flow of exhaust. Flat ground or less acceleration and there's no problem. Any unusual noises coming from the converter (that sound of something loose) ?

Example below -

Old 09-14-2023, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello..
My father had this problem with clogging in his Peugeot, whenever he went up a hill the car would go out and it was actually the catalyst, but in the Volvo, I ended up leaving it at a mechanic's workshop and I was informed that they did this test, removing the exhaust system, when trying to climb a hill where it is necessary to accelerate, the car does not develop..
Currently the car came without the last muffler, for some reason it is missing, it only has the catalytic converter and the intermediate pipe (up close to the fuel tank).
They think it could be the transmission.
I have an odb2 scanner, on mine it is possible to access and test the transmission solenoids and it is working perfectly, the car makes the changes without problems, so I think it is difficult for the problem to be her..
I have no ideas of what to test...
When the MAF sensor has problems, which defects usually present?