Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

What is s40 T5 Sterio standard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is s40 T5 Sterio standard?

Hey,

The CD changer in my S40 T5 2004 just broke down, I tried to fix it but failed.

Now I need a new one, where can I find out what the socket standard is on my car? (So I can buy a new one that fits in right away without any modifications)

Old 08-08-2016, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

To start, I'd check web sites like Crutchfields for adaptors etc. Also volvowiringdiagrams.com may show a pin out for the factory connector.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
To start, I'd check web sites like Crutchfields for adaptors etc. Also volvowiringdiagrams.com may show a pin out for the factory connector.
Thank you, this is a very good start.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The factory stereo components, except for the speakers, are interconnected via fiber optic cables. You won't find an aftermarket changer. Your options are a Volvo changer or this: Possible New Head Unit for P1 Cars or you could do something like relocate the ICM to the roof console and put an aftermarket stereo in where the ICM and CD changer usually are.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by AutoNaut
The factory stereo components, except for the speakers, are interconnected via fiber optic cables. You won't find an aftermarket changer. Your options are a Volvo changer or this: Possible New Head Unit for P1 Cars or you could do something like relocate the ICM to the roof console and put an aftermarket stereo in where the ICM and CD changer usually are.
I was looking around online in various web shops for the same changer but there's just not many around. And buying an used one could cause the same problem as on mine. A new one is just to damn expensive.

Would a regular 1-CD one from a normal s40 2004 fit into mine, since the front cover around the sterio is identical?

From the pictures and explanation in the thread you sent me I couldn't see if there is one that will fit my car right away, with out modification.

Thanks a lot for the reply

Old 08-09-2016, 10:26 PM

Do you have the premium sound system? If so than the single may not work. If you have the standard system or the high performance sound system then the changer was optional. Therefore, a single should work but you may need to go to Volvo service to change the software.

I use my changer a lot and I have 190K miles on the car. I would imagine you sould be able to find a used changer that works. Keep in mind that the changers are different starting mid-2007 as they added mp3 capability. If you have an earlier model, this changer may not work since there were other changes to the sound systems as well.
Stan

Old 08-09-2016, 10:31 PM

Another option may be to install a device that allows you to connect an iPhone, iPod or other mp3 player. This won't play the CD's but you can still have your own music. Options would be (in progressing sound quality order): 1) an FM transmitter, 2) an FM modulator (hooks direct to antenna lead) or 3) a Denison Gateway 500 or GROM (interfaces to the fiber-optic system). Option 3 would give the best SQ but is most expensive. I have the Denison and it really sounds great with the Premium sound system.
Stan

Old 08-10-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by AutoNaut
Another option may be to install a device that allows you to connect an iPhone, iPod or other mp3 player. This won't play the CD's but you can still have your own music. Options would be (in progressing sound quality order): 1) an FM transmitter, 2) an FM modulator (hooks direct to antenna lead) or 3) a Denison Gateway 500 or GROM (interfaces to the fiber-optic system). Option 3 would give the best SQ but is most expensive. I have the Denison and it really sounds great with the Premium sound system.
Stan
I'm in the process of finding out what my sound system is. It's pretty great sound so I would imagine it was premium, but I'm not sure. Can't remember.
I think I've come to terms with the fact that I likely won't be able to get a new changer, so a more expensive and more fancy player is probably the best option.

The Denison Gateway 500, what's the current price for that product? And, does it have DAB+ radio? Also, does everything come with the package, or do I need to buy anything in addition to make it work. (Given I have the right system for it)

I found a video explaining how to install it, I'm terrible at these things but it looked fairly doable.

I really appreciate all the help, it's been very informative for me, so thanks a lot!