Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Wheel/Shock rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel/Shock rattle

I recently fixed a wheel/shock rattle that was driving me crazy. The right front would rattle at the slightest bump and sounded like something was loose and ready to fall off.
Remove the strut assembly and found that the culprit was the top shock/strut mount. The mount was broken and consisted of a top and bottom piece with a rubber puck with enclosed washer used to mount the top of the shock. Since the top and bottom pieces were seperated the puck inside slide around and wore out the side of the puck until metal to metal was creating the noise. The two pieces are held together by pressed in bolt used to hold the strut mount to the body. The rattle was caused by the pieces all being loose/worn.

Here's my $3 fix after finding out the local part stores would have to special order the $70 part.

I bought a 1 foot piece of 1" rubber heater hose from Ace. I cut (3) 1" pieces and split them into strips. I inserted the strips into the core where the rubber puck resides to prevent the washer from hitting the sides. I mated the top and bottom pieces, pressed in the bolts then mig welded the assembly together. After re-installation the car has been rattle free!!!!!!!1