Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

"cigg lighter" broken on center console, how to fix?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "cigg lighter" broken on center console, how to fix?

Hey all.... 2002 s60 here.

My "ciggarette lighter", or rather, my cell phone jack, "broke" on my center console (the one that faces/is easily accessable from the back seat). I went to plug the cell phone charger into it and ended up pushing it IN to the console.

How do I fix it? Is there an easy way?

Now I have to decide if I want to charge my cell phone OR listen to my XM radio!!!

Help!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Default RE: "cigg lighter" broken on center console, how to fix?

Volvo initially said that sometyimes they can just grab the "outlet" and pull it back into place (using needle nosed pliers, I assume.....?) and that, if they could do that, they would do this at no charge to me.

I just got the call from them that the tabs that are used to hold the outlet in place are actually broken and, if I want the outlet fixed, they would have to replace the entire console....at the amazingly low, low, price of $600 [&:]

I said "nevermind"

Old 10-24-2007, 01:27 AM

If you would like to know how to remove the center console and resecure the 12V let me know.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 AM

Aboslutely!!! Post away!

Old 10-26-2007, 10:49 PM

Ok,

Youmay wanta 'bone' tool. (plastic prying tool that doesn't damage trim parts)
A 25Torx bit.
A penny

-Remove the plastic panels on the side of the center console, they run from the under dash kick panel to the seats.
-There is a slot at the rear- this is what you use the penny for, turn the slot to unlock the panel, and slide the panel towards the rear to remove it. Do this on both sides.
-There are 4 or 5screws holding the console in place.
-The first two are located below you climate panel. Pop off the pen holder directly below the climatepanel. Make sure you are removing the 2 screws for the center console and not the climate panel.
-The second two are located in the storage compartment.Pry at the front of the cover to remove the cover panel, it will pivot up and out.
-Pull your parking brake lever up-remove its plastic cover; should just pop out with a little force. If the handle won't move far enough to allow for removal, de-adjust the p-brake by loosing the 10mm nut next to the handle, afterward re-adjust to between 5-7 clicks. If you are concerned about a little scracthing of your p-brake handle, wrap it up inpaintertape.
-Pop loose the cover over your shifter. Thenplace yourshifterin neutral. There may be an extra screw here.
-You can begin to pull theconsole up
-There is a connector for your rear 12v outlet. Which needs to be unplugged.Either secured to the inner back of the console or loose.Break it away from the tab and unplug it.
With a little care guidethe console out around the p-brake and the shifter
Younow have good access to determine and fix your problem.
I hope this is clear for you.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:50 AM

LOL, I'll let you know if it's clear to me after my husband reviews it!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:50 AM

Thanks SO much!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for me, on my 2004 there's a black square panel on the back of the center con. near the floor

get in the back seat and it prys right out, instant access to the 12 volt connector and with small hands the socket.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Question Volvo wagon 940 - broken 12V lighter

Originally Posted by Volvocars
If you would like to know how to remove the center console and resecure the 12V let me know.
Hi.......I`m new to this forum and need help to fix the outlet in my mom`s wagon which has the lighter in the dash to left of the radio and stuff. I guess the tabs must be broken which the wire would attach to, so how do I remove this thing? Do you have the schematic for it? My hubby would possibly do the job if you can send some instructions which would be different from the previous post. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Costs of parts for replacing cig lighter/charger unit?

I really need the charger in my 2009 S80 Volvo working. I'm a Doordasher , and my phone doesn't stay charged very long. I need to work as much as I can just to pay for all the repairs I've done on this car in the 9 months I've owned it.

I usually get my parts from RockAuto, and my mechanic puts them in, but I can't price it until I know what the parts are called and what I'll need.

Scenario #1- he gets the unit out from bottom of console where they fell thru, and it works. Yeah! No parts. #2, it doesn't work.

​​​​​​If it's #1, I assume it won't need parts, just put back together? But if it's #2, and it doesn't work, I would have to replace it. If so, can I switch it out for USB plugs or is that way more expensive? If anyone can tell me what parts I would need , I can find pricing.

I haven't taken it to the Volvo dealership: I can't imagine the cost of their parts & labor! But the check engine light came back on after my mechanic fixed another problem--a different problem for the third time. He said this time (#4) I have to bring it to the Volvo place because it's a computer problem.

Any help you can give me, any suggestions, names/prices/ez fix [haha] I'd be so appreciative. I'm kind of lost on this one