Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

'02 S60: Door panel and window issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 S60: Door panel and window issues

I have been having issues with my 2002 Volvo S60, see below. Any thoughts are appreciated.

1. Front passenger side window occasionally will not work. The door itself makes an annoying clicking sound (similar noise to that of a hand held oven timer but faster) and the temperature gauge on the dashboard displays “- -F”. Once the clicking stops (can continue for up to 30 minutes) the temperature gauge fixes itself right away and displays the current temp.

2. Driver side door handle is broken and will not open from the inside. I was told by the dealership that a bracket or something broke and the only way to fix it was to have the whole door panel replaced. I believe the estimate for parts and labor was about $600. Another shop could do it for about $450. I actually had a 3rd shop attempt to fix it while I was getting some other repairs. They glued something inside the door and it worked well for about 2 months and is now broke again. Driver lock does not always work now with the key fob, have to use the key some times. Do I need to bite the bullet here and get the new door panel?

3. Getting a message that the security system needs service. How crucial is getting this checked out?

4. Check engine light came on last week too. I’ll get that looked at when I bring it in for the other stuff I suppose.

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Also, right front headlight goes on and off on occassion. Do some wires need to be replaced?
Thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 04:26 PM

Hi,

1. I've experienced this and it turned out to be the passenger door module. The module requires software from the dealer, so it's not a DIY fix. It's pricy too; I payed $700+ to get it fixed.

2. The door isn't hard to take apart, you could order the parts from a salvage yard and replace the mechanical portion fairly easily. The FOB not working may be a part of your next issue, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's also mechanical.

3. I had this problem too. This is another common problem, especially for the earlier models. The battery inside the siren module deteriorates with time and damages the circuit board. This can be fixed at home for under $200, as long as you have a drill, pop rivet gun and some basic tools. Here's a good guide : http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p?f=11&t=17479
The siren module affects the upper equipment module, which controls the sunroof and the FOB receiver amongst other things. Eventually, the siren module will start to drain the car's battery. Pulling its fuse can serve as a temporary solution.

4. Hope it isn't anything too serious!

5. I'd look for a bad connection somewhere. Start with the bulb and work your way to the fuse box in the engine compartment.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 PM

I have a brand new in-box driver door module for an 01 S60. I traded in the vehicle so I never installed it. I was having the exact same issue as you with the clicking noise and the windows would stop working.

PM me if you're interested in the DDM for a reduced price.