Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

05 S60, rubbing noise after brake/rotor job

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 S60, rubbing noise after brake/rotor job

Hello Folks,

I have an 05 non AWD non turbo charged S60 that I completed a front brake job on this evening using Autozone Duralast rotors and their Ceramic Gold pads with new front hardware kit ... I have to say I somewhat completed a brake job on this evening because after I put everything back together and I start driving to do the normal short straight stops to set the pads in and I hear a noise like both wheels are rubbing on something constantly as the tires spin. It simply doesn't go away like something is in constant contact.

I checked both dust shields for any contact with the rotor and made sure that both sides pads are set correctly. There doesn't appear to be any wear lines on either side of the rotors either. Is this something that may just be new wear and may go away? Are the autozone parts just out of spec? This definitely hasn't been my first brake job on a Volvo as I have had an 240, s70, and 2 s40s before this car.

Any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong or where to look would be awesome because I am currently not wanting to drive it to work in the am knowing I may possibly cause any damage. Thank you for any feedback/input you may provide.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by cwahl
Hello Folks,

I have an 05 non AWD non turbo charged S60 that I completed a front brake job on this evening using Autozone Duralast rotors and their Ceramic Gold pads with new front hardware kit ... I have to say I somewhat completed a brake job on this evening because after I put everything back together and I start driving to do the normal short straight stops to set the pads in and I hear a noise like both wheels are rubbing on something constantly as the tires spin. It simply doesn't go away like something is in constant contact.

I checked both dust shields for any contact with the rotor and made sure that both sides pads are set correctly. There doesn't appear to be any wear lines on either side of the rotors either. Is this something that may just be new wear and may go away? Are the autozone parts just out of spec? This definitely hasn't been my first brake job on a Volvo as I have had an 240, s70, and 2 s40s before this car.

Any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong or where to look would be awesome because I am currently not wanting to drive it to work in the am knowing I may possibly cause any damage. Thank you for any feedback/input you may provide.
There is a spring mounted on the front caliper. It is possible you put it on wrong. I did once and it caused the same issue. I would double check that.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:44 AM

Check the dust shields behind the rotor again, especially at the bottom, there is a bend that goes around the balljoint and its really close to the rotor at this point.

Last edited by Racer_S; 09-07-2013 at 11:48 AM.