Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2001 S60 T2.4 Throttle Mess

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed ignition coil packs, new fuel filter (again), and MAF. (again)

Coil packs and MAF are aftermarket (5 star and 400+ sold off eBay)
I know it's not as premium as OEMs but it would at least get me somewhere, but it didn't.
Car still undrivable and idle still erratic and often dies. I can't take it to the dealer because of financial issue so I decided to let this car go and sell it as is instead.

but for archive purposes this video will show what happened after I replaced those parts listed above.

I would still love to hear what you guys have to say about what is going on.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I understand you have financial limitations, but I don't understand why you ignore advice and spend more money on another MAF and more coils and another fuel filter for no reason?

Dealer diagnosis is free. As in no charge.

And for the 5th time- I bet it's the used throttle body.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
I understand you have financial limitations, but I don't understand why you ignore advice and spend more money on another MAF and more coils and another fuel filter for no reason?

Dealer diagnosis is free. As in no charge.

And for the 5th time- I bet it's the used throttle body.
The one that gave me advice to replace them were a ex-mechanic near my college, my dad, and a few more people. (MAF that I bought was around $30 and FF was $15) the reason why I'm doing the cheap replacements first was basically a backtrace of what had happened.

I don't mean to ignore YOUR advice and few others that said the same thing as to take it to the dealer. but I have a couple issues with that:
1. it's "nearby" but not close enough for my car to drive there
2. Towing would take time and I just went through mid-term exams this past 2 weeks (add 1 more week for preps) hence my lack of time

The new/used ETM could be the problem, but it has the same exact symptoms with the old ETM. I can try to take apart my car next week and return my ETM and replace it with my old ETM and see if there's any changes. If not, then I'm going to buy Xemodex using the return money from my new/used ETM.

Sorry if I came as "ignoring" your advice, I'm doing things that are viable for me and easiest to do by myself. I can take it to the dealer next weekend.

Thank you though for your advices, I take notes of everything you wrote, I just haven't had the chance to execute those yet.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Do you really a think a $200 Bosch MAF and a $30 MAF from some guy on ebay are the same? A cheap, aftermarket MAF could be part of the problem. But those codes indicate a problem with the wiring to the coils. So wiring or an ECM (super rare). The symptom is exactly like that of a bad throttle, which I have seen probably hundreds of times.

Used parts are never a sure thing. ETMs are a common failure on that car. So how do you know you didn't replace your bad ETM with another bad ETM?

Old 03-19-2017, 04:17 AM

Instead of replacing parts you should get yourself some basic equipment to diagnose the problem

At this point without you being able to test Spark - Fuel and Compression the basic for an engine to run you are pretty lost

For Spark test you need adjustable spark tester - see the link
For Fuel test you need Fuel Pressure Tester - simple to do on Volvo - see the link
For Compression test you need Engine Compression Test Kit - see the link

Old 03-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Highly unlikely you will need to do any of those tests

Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 AM

OK ES6T he has a COP error code - can you answer if there is a Spark issue without testing it?

Old 03-19-2017, 09:45 AM

Does the engine run if you give it gas and hold it at 3000 rpm

did you check the vacuum lines? I had the same problem bc the vacuum hose under the intake manifold that goes into a T connection was totally shot but had to feel it with my fingers under the manifold to realize it had a split - you can't see that part only the one that is connected to the intake manifold
As shown in the pic follow the vacuum line to the T and in both directions you need to squeeze it see pic

Attached Thumbnails 2001 S60 T2.4 Throttle Mess-sk%E4rmklipp.png  

Last edited by Volvisiman; 03-19-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

The car is surging, not misfiring. Misfire problems are often coils. Surging is usually a throttle. Plus he put a used throttle on it. And also, you can check spark without any tester by just pulling the coil up and listening for it to arc to the plug.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Volvisiman
Does the engine run if you give it gas and hold it at 3000 rpm

did you check the vacuum lines? I had the same problem bc the vacuum hose under the intake manifold that goes into a T connection was totally shot but had to feel it with my fingers under the manifold to realize it had a split - you can't see that part only the one that is connected to the intake manifold
As shown in the pic follow the vacuum line to the T and in both directions you need to squeeze it see pic
It goes to a somewhat limp mode-ish. the throttle keep going up and down even when I step on the gas. It won't stay at a specific RPM without it dropping.

I'll check that tomorrow if possible. Let me check if there's a crack.

Originally Posted by ES6T
The car is surging, not misfiring. Misfire problems are often coils. Surging is usually a throttle. Plus he put a used throttle on it. And also, you can check spark without any tester by just pulling the coil up and listening for it to arc to the plug.
ES6T is correct, this is not a misfire more than the throttle not knowing where the position at or something like that. because sometimes the throttle goes stable for a good 5 seconds then it goes to that random, jumpy, erratic idle again.

-----

I don't know if this has any correlation but I found out that my radiator fan somehow kept on running even when the car is turned off. weird but I don't know if this has anything to do with any of this.

Last edited by Zano Korellio; 03-19-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:19 PM

How did you fare Zano ?

Old 04-10-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Volvisiman
How did you fare Zano ?
I stuck with my car since I have no on to tow it to the dealer yet. Semester has been going rather rough (last semester of college) so I'm looking for a window of time to work on it. I will let you know though!