Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2004 S60 2.5T AWD Logic Controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 S60 2.5T AWD Logic Controls

Good afternoon.
New to the forum. Thank you for taking my case.
Recently bought a '04 S60, 2.5T AWD; 108k miles, should go for another 100k.
A beautiful car.
During extreme cold weather I started to receive seemingly random messages from the logic; check engine, transmission failure, ABS failure, jumping transmission, cruise failure, etc... Initially, I was able to clear these codes myself, until,....
I was driving one day and the ABS light came on with the stop safely message. I pulled over and stopped, thinking I would turn the car off and on, clear the fault and go on my way. The car had other ideas.
I turned it off and it never came back.
Towed to dealer; found arcing from corrosion at the logic module connectors. All kinds of faults in the memory.
Technician reterminated harness to logic module.
I am glad they took troubleshooting all the way. This could have easily been a costly module swap with exercising the connectors hiding the problem only to return next year. So, kudos to this dealership!
Now, what's up with this failure mode? Seemingly random (after some life)and a complete and total failure.
The dealer suggests this is rare, but, when I read about fault codes and messages in forums, I get this sinking feeling that this problem is out there, larger than anyone cares to know.
Is it?
Does Volvo electrical design stink? Corrosion on the logic connectors?
Who designed-in this random and complete failure?
Why is it in a top end car?
Is Volvo reterminating thousands of harnesses?
I love the car but the trust has been broken; feels just like a cheating spouse.
Can I regain trust?
Thank you,
Jim

Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 PM

Corrosion is largely dependent on the environment.
If for some reason your car was exposed more than usual (near the ocean, high salt applications) there is going to be higher risk of failure.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all, have the following recalls taken care of unless already done:

http://www.autobuyguide.com/2004/12-...lls/index.html

+1 to the environment in which the car is used. However, in general, European makes are known to have not very durable electrical/electronic systems (but not as bad as yours). In today's world, many products are designed in one country but manufactured overseas. This is a bad move just to cut costs. Quality control has gone down the hill, which is not just for Volvo but for anyone in the market.

Neglect is another cause of troubles, but it probably doesn't apply in your case.

Even though now owned by a Chinese enterprise, Volvos are still the safest cars available to public.

JPN

Old 02-16-2011, 07:00 AM

Thank you.
I have researched recalls with Volvo and the car is supposedly up to date.
I shall try to love again.
So far, the car is doing great.
Thank you for the responses.
J

Old 02-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 03 s60 AWD and am having a similar issue. Just the other day went threw a touch-less car wash and after a short drive shut the car off. When i restarted it the car went crazy Trany service message,ABS,Check engine lights and car would not shift out of Park.OBD2 codes were p0002 and p0600. I reset codes to get home and now all seems ok. But i am worried that this may be something bigger just not showing its ugly head just yet.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:08 PM

Yikes!!!
Based on my experience, you are currently in a gestation period and you have about a month (maybe 3 weeks) before it totally quits on you, but again, it is random. I would take the car to the dealer computer now, before the car leaves you stranded in a subzero snowstorm somewhere on 93. The towing alone will bring tears to your eyes and may break some trim.
You can explain your concern and have the dealer read the codes. There are probably plenty. My codes varied all over the place. Consistently, a communication fault of some kind. And, like I said, arcing can be missed easily if the connectors are exercised during a module swap out. You have to look into the connector ends for carbon tracking. Be wary of the service tech that wants to swap out the module or other components. My bet is that the module is good.
Re-terminating the harness wasn't that expensive (<$400 at dealer in W Springfield, MA) given the car was nothing but a block of toxic waste at that point.
You can tell I'm not over it.... sorry.
Best of luck to you!

Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 PM

By the way, I should let you know the codes you have received are exactly the same as I have been through. It started with tranny and engine, would not shift out of 4th gear and the ABS. Following ABS, complete shutdown.
Being around Boston and the coast, it is possible the corrosion rate is accelerated.
Cheers!