Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

2004 Soft top controls, massive failure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2004 Soft top controls, massive failure!

I have owned several convertibles over the past half century but never one that had as much complex engineering to perform a relatively simple function. I recently purchased a nice 2004 C70 with a new soft top a few weeks ago. The top would not seat fully leaving about a ½ gap between the lid and the top. The seller said it was because the new top needed to stretch which sounded strange but since this was my first Volvo and I was taking pain pills for minor surgery I went ahead and purchased the car. Huge mistake!
The third time I tried to raise the top it stopped about 1/3 of the way up so I looked at the mechanism and it appeared some rewiring had been done and a wire was missing on the passenger side. Checked several independent Volvo repair shops and found out this repair was pretty much something only an actual Volvo dealer was equipped to do. Took it to Clearwater Volvo and they quoted $2000.00 minimum to fix. I then studied the function of this top mechanism and learned it uses 2 arms called tappets to raise and close the lid. These were over $300.00 on ebay, used including the micro switches.
I then learned Volvo has potentiometers that determine position as well as micro switches and there are supplemental motors and cables involved as well as a Volvo proprietary tool (VIDA) that plugs into the OBDII to calibrate everything. Seeing this repair was above my pay grade I took it to the dealer to fix. It has been there 3 days now and they are still trying to find one motor and cable assembly. The estimate is up to over $3000.00 now with no end in sight. I trust the dealer and do think this system required a complete refurbishing. I have spoken with the technician and have observed the repair and new parts being installed but am sinking closer to investing $9000 in a 5K car.
Bottom line is these tops are not like the thousands of convertible tops where the top is fastened to the back, 2 handles lock it to the windshield. No, this system was designed by Rube Goldberg* may he RIP.
*A Rube Goldberg machine is a contraption, invention, device or apparatus that is deliberately over-engineered or overdone to perform a very simple task in a very complicated fashion, usually including a chain reaction.Named after inventor Rube Goldberg (1883–1970).

Last edited by OGC70; 10-13-2014 at 12:35 PM.