Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2004 s60

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004 s60

Hello! I am new here and trying to get some help for my girlfriends 2004 S60. It was purchased from a local Volvo dealer last year with 110,000 on it. The car has been developing issues almost everyday. Anything that could possibly happen does.

So heres the problem,
About a month ago I was driving the car and it started acting up nothing that made me feel like it was going to break down but I could feel that something was going on. Later that night I parked it and when I went out the next morning it would start and immediately stall. I tried everything to keep it running but kept turning off. The check engine light came on and the codes that my scanner read were P02188 and P02178 (something about to rich at idle) Let it sit overnight since I had to go to work. Next morning started it up and ran just fine. Drove it to the Volvo dealer and waited about a week to find out that nothing was wrong. I told them the codes and they said that it could just be a fluke because they checked everything and it was fine. Have been driving it up until today.

Today She was driving out to the mall after work. When she got back in the car It started and as soon as she put it in reverse it turned off. The gas light was on so I figured she had ran out of gas. When I went to take a look at the car no check engine light was on and it started just fine. I drove it up to the gas station about 2 miles away and on the way it started being "jumpy" not sure how to describe it . MIL came on and I rolled in to the gas station. Filled it up with gas then I went to start it and it would stall immediately. Got it to move by pressing the gas down halfway and held it there. Came back with my scanner and I got P0300 P0304 P0305 P0303 all misfire conditions.

So im really tired of having my dealer tell me that nothing is wrong with it and just need to see what my options are before I try and take it somewhere.

Thanks in Advance!

Old 05-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a bad coil Pack. This is a very easy fix. Go to Volvo S60 Ignition Coil- Volvo Parts
Buy 5 new ones.Volvo wants $100+ for one. They are located right under the top of the engine Volvo plastic cover . Takes 1 10mm bolt per Coil pack-Un plug-unbolt pull it off.While you are in there replace the plugs with Volvo plugs. This is a very easy DIY in the driveway basic tools in 2 hours. GL

Old 05-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I'm having the same exact problem

Hi. I couldn't believe it when I saw your post. My car has been doing exactly the same thing you describe. I was also told by the dealer that there was nothing wrong. Today, I almost had to have it towed because it would not start. I sat for awhile and then started it with no problem, although the service engine light was on. Did you try the replacing the coils? My problem is that I have a local person, not the dealer, usually work on my car, and he does not want to use parts I purchase...so it can still be very pricey.