Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2007 S60R Auto Transmission Random 2-3 Shift Lag Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 S60R Auto Transmission Random 2-3 Shift Lag Problem

I have a 2007 S60R with a 6spd automatic transmission, bought used about 1200 miles ago (about 50600 mi on the odometer), and it is behaving strangely. Randomly, during my commute, it will pause during the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. When that happens, the engine revs, but the transmission won't go into 3rd gear for what feels like 1-2 seconds under hard acceleration. This can happen in any performance setting (Comfort, Sport, or Advanced), sport shift on/off, and only happens once during my commute.

It can happen at any time, when going from a stop, or when taking a turn at slow enough speeds to cause a downshift to 1st or 2nd gear. Under 25% throttle, it will pause for a shorter time, the throttle rises as it hesitates, and then it shifts into 3rd. At about 50% throttle, it revs higher, and the shift is hard when it engages 3rd gear. At 75% to WOT, it will rev all the way to redline and hold there until the shift into 3rd, which can be very jarring.

I thought at first it was due to the car not being warmed up enough. But, I can drive 16+ miles before it happens, in my 17 mile commute (mostly highway driving). I can't seem to determine a cause or reproduce it in a predictable fashion. Once it happens, it doesn't happen again until the next time I start the car. Other than that one bad shift per trip, the transmission behaves normally.

I found a service bulletin for 00 and 01 cars automatic transmission adaptation procedure. I tried it, but it didn't fix the issue. I'll include the procedure below:

Transmission Issue excerpt from below:
TNN43-20-07122002 Title: Adaptation Procedure – S/V 70, S/V 40, and C70 with AW 55-50 Transmission
The AW 55-50 automatic transmission used in certain MY 00 S/V 70’s and all MY 01 S/V40, C70, vehicles incorporate adaptive functions. If a software download is performed, the transmission or TCM are replaced, or the vehicle is new, an adaptation procedure may need to be performed. Complaints of harsh gear engagement and harsh upshifts/downshifts are indications that the adaptation procedure may not have been completed.

1. In order to perform the adaptation procedure the ATF temperature must be within 65-110°C (150-230°F). Accelerating the vehicle in Winter mode will help raise the fluid temperature if it is below 65°C (150°F). A stall test should not be used to heat up the fluid. Read the temperature with VADIS. The adaptation will not be completed if the fluid temperature is not within this range.
2. With the ATF within the specified temperature range start driving the vehicle with light throttle. Using approximately 15% throttle keep a steady pedal through all the gears until 4th gear is reached. It is not possible to reach 5th gear with this pedal position. Repeat until the shift quality is OK at each gear change.
3. Repeat step 2 with approximately 25% pedal application. Keep a steady pedal through all the gears until 5th gear is reached.
4. Accelerate to approximately 45 mph (72 km/h) and decrease the speed by lightly applying the brake until the vehicle stops. This should take approximately 7 seconds. Repeat this until the quality of the downshifts is OK.
5. Apply the brake and put the gear selector in the P position. Move the lever to the R position and wait 5 seconds. Move the selector back to P position and wait another 5 seconds. Repeat until the R engagement is OK.
6. Repeat the procedure in step 5 moving between N position and D position until the D engagement is OK.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Has anyone heard of it? My warranty has just expired, and I'm not relishing the idea of having to fork over thousands of dollars for a new transmission on a car I just bought. Thanks,

FamilyGuy

Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 PM

Asin-Warner auto transmissions are touchy about ATF condition. Suggest that you flush and refill the tranny with new oil and see how it works out. That is usually the first step to try when one of these units acts up, and is relatively inexpensive. It can be a DIY item - I did mine with no problem. Make sure that you use ONLY the correct fluid as recommended by Volvo - the wrong oil can create a ton of problems.

Also, do a search on the R Forum on www.swedespeed.com for tranny info and hints. That is about the best source for help with the Rs.

Good luck!

Last edited by MN2.5T; 04-09-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 AM

Thanks MN2.5T. I posted the same topic to the swedespeed forums and I've had a few other replies from folks who have experienced similar issues. I also found a few TNNs that might apply to my situation. I'm putting them below, to help anyone else who might have this issue.

TNN43-53-2006-12-21 Title: Auto Trans - TF80-SC Diagnostic Information Summary - Valve Body Replacement.
This document summarizes customer complaints related to the 6 speed Automatic Transmission (TF80-SC) and should be used together with the information in VIDA.

The Valve Body should be replaced to address the following symptoms:
1. Customer complaints about 2-3 upshift quality. The shift may be described as harsh, or as a shudder. The symptom is usually more apparent during the first few minutes of driving after a cold start.
2. Customer complaints of shudder when slowing down, just before coming to a stop. The symptom may also be described as a harsh downshift just before coming to a stop.
3. Neutral condition in 4th, 5th & 6th gear; normal behavior in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & Reverse. One or more of the following DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) may be present: P073400, P073500, P072900, P089600.
4. Neutral condition in all gears except 5th & Reverse, usually with DTC P273300 set. DTCs for gear ratio(s) may also be set such as P073000, P073100, P073200, or P073400.
Note: Transmissions starting with serial number 06J and later already have the latest valve body which is designed to prevent these symptoms.

** My transmission serial begins with 06F, so I don't have the corrected valve body. For those who are curious, you can see the transmission serial number by looking on the driver's side of the engine, just to the right and below the top of the engine, between the engine and the black plastic boxes. Look down the side of the engine, where the transmission attaches to the engine, and slightly toward the rear of the car, and you can see little plaques on the top surface of the transmission.

TNN40-02-2007-12-18 Title: Engine, Auto Trans Controls - DEM and TCM Software Updates
Update for General Shift Quality on 2002-2007, 5 and 6 speed Automatic Transmissions.
The TNN defines TCM and DEM software Upgrades that are available to correct the complaints / symptoms listed.

I'm going to probably start with a fluid flush, and take it from there. I'm guessing I'll have to lay out some serious money if the TNN fixes need to be applied.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Talking Valve Body Replaced and Software Updated

I got my car back today, after 3 days in the shop. They were able to reproduce the issue. They took apart the transmission and found electrical tape inside it, assumed to be there since factory assembly. So, they called out a Volvo rep and ended up doing the valve body replacement and updating the software (both TNNs).

So far, so good. The transmission is working much better than it has since I got it. Shifts are smooth. In comparison, the upshifts and downshifts were more rough before, and coasting in high gear didn't seem to engage neutral like it does now.

They good-willed the whole repair since I was just over warranty. The service advisor said it cost them $2600 internally to do the work, and would have cost me between $3500 and $4000. I got very lucky.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrats!
I have an 06 in the shop now that has an issue like that. Well that is what I have heard. I have not driven it yet because the radiator was bad when it came in. But also did a 60K on it and trans,steering,brake flush on it.
From what I hear Volvo has thrown everything they know at it and still acts the same.
I will find out for sure tomorrow.

I wish you luck with it.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by FamilyGuy

TNN43-53-2006-12-21 Title: Auto Trans - TF80-SC Diagnostic Information Summary - Valve Body Replacement.
This document summarizes customer complaints related to the 6 speed Automatic Transmission (TF80-SC) and should be used together with the information in VIDA.

The Valve Body should be replaced to address the following symptoms:
1. Customer complaints about 2-3 upshift quality. The shift may be described as harsh, or as a shudder. The symptom is usually more apparent during the first few minutes of driving after a cold start.
2. Customer complaints of shudder when slowing down, just before coming to a stop. The symptom may also be described as a harsh downshift just before coming to a stop.
My transmission does these first two things, except mine is a 5 speed as my car is a 2001. I did a trans. flush 15k ago and did the B4 Servo cover replacement and apparently my car has all the latest software updates. Someone said the slow/rough upshifts is a characteristic of these AW transmissions, but others said theirs are fine.